Are you rabbit infested

8 hours ago, Gimlet said:

Mild wet winters are a nightmare for moles.

There's professional mole catchers advertising services again round here. Tricky job that.

I shot one once. Hugely satisfying. Spotted a fresh mole hill on the lawn that hadn't been there a few minutes earlier. Knowing the mole wouldn't be far away I got a stick and prodded the mound so it collapsed the tunnel and then went and got a shotgun. The mole detected the cave-in and came back to fix it. As soon as the hill started to heave I gave it a 42g SG from four feet away. Didn't do the lawn any favours but did the mole more good than a day at the seaside.

0B20BEF7-8C23-4F6C-81BA-3375167B4ED3.thumb.jpeg.74f29b3d21e73fe33c7842f0269063dd.jpegdont have any trouble catching em just got a lot of em 

48 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Do ferrets work as a team or on their own, what are the tactics used?

Tactics are to be too fast for the rabbit down the hole and start eating it creating you the job of digging the little bleeder out. Hobs tend to eat then sleep (lay up).

Similar when a terrier won't/can't get out, you have more digging but this is usually because the dogs got stuck.

• Like 1

Tactics are to be too fast for the rabbit down the hole and start eating it creating you the job of digging the little bleeder out. Hobs tend to eat then sleep (lay up).

Similar when a terrier won't/can't get out, you have more digging but this is usually because the dogs got stuck.
Always fed the ferrets on rabbit so it was nothing special if the rabbits wouldn't bolt and the ended up killing one. A mate fed his on saps (milk and bread) and often had to dig them out.
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

Bread and milk is a shockingly bad diet for a ferret. They can't metabolise refined carbohydrate properly and lactose is very bad for them. Milk should only be a treat in small quantities and must be lactose-free. 

Ferrets fed on milk sops are malnourished and they'll become lethargic, bad tempered and out of condition. And their feaces stink.

Always fed mine fresh rabbit meat once a day with ad-hoc dry food and clean fresh water. I'd chuck in a whole raw egg now and then in the spring when eggs would be part of the natural diet. Too many eggs to often is bad but fine as a seasonal treat and they have a whale of a time trying to get into them.

I always fed my rabbit meat skinned and chopped and never more than they would eat in one sitting because they tend to stash leftovers. I had mine in a court with a long length of flexi land drain pipe looping round in a big spiral from the floor up to a gallery at eye level. If I overfed meat they would stash it halfway up the pipe and leave it there til it rotted. Getting it out was a nightmare, so meat was rationed so they cleaned the bowl in one feeding frenzy. They were fit as fiddles. 

Had to get rid of them after a change in circumstances. I do miss the little buggers. Especially the hob. He was a great pal. Bone idle but a real mate.  

4 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Bread and milk is a shockingly bad diet for a ferret. They can't metabolise refined carbohydrate properly and lactose is very bad for them. Milk should only be a treat in small quantities and must be lactose-free. 

Ferrets fed on milk sops are malnourished and they'll become lethargic, bad tempered and out of condition. And their feaces stink.

Always fed mine fresh rabbit meat once a day with ad-hoc dry food and clean fresh water. I'd chuck in a whole raw egg now and then in the spring when eggs would be part of the natural diet. Too many eggs to often is bad but fine as a seasonal treat and they have a whale of a time trying to get into them.

I always fed my rabbit meat skinned and chopped and never more than they would eat in one sitting because they tend to stash leftovers. I had mine in a court with a long length of flexi land drain pipe looping round in a big spiral from the floor up to a gallery at eye level. If I overfed meat they would stash it halfway up the pipe and leave it there til it rotted. Getting it out was a nightmare, so meat was rationed so they cleaned the bowl in one feeding frenzy. They were fit as fiddles. 

Had to get rid of them after a change in circumstances. I do miss the little buggers. Especially the hob. He was a great pal. Bone idle but a real mate.  

This absolutely .

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

Always fed mine on raw meat,pigeons,pheasant,rabbit and chicken

I could never get mine to eat any sort of fowl, except chicken, not even the offal. Tried them on venison trimmings too when I butchered a carcass but they weren't keen on that either. They were rabbit connoisseurs..