Are you rabbit infested

Shoot mine with .22, HMRs and night vision. Ten years ago I was shooting at least 500 a year on a 900 acre farm. Then we had a population collapse from VHD. Numbers have recovered but not to where they were before. Still shoot a few but not like I used to.

An "infestation" rather depends on where they are. A dozen rabbits in a hundred acre field of young barley will do little measurable damage but one rabbit getting into your garden every night in early summer can be devastating. An half a dozen within hopping distance of a hedge you've just planted without tree guards will seem like a biblical plague.

What I have noticed round here is there are fewer rabbits on farmland, partly because of control and partly because of disease, but more turning up in people's gardens, on the roadside and the periphery of the village.  

I know that if you over-shoot a colony by hitting it too regularly instead of a gradual war of attrition, the survivors will up sticks and migrate, usually to somewhere like a roadside where you can't shoot them. 

Mild wet winters are a nightmare for moles.

There's professional mole catchers advertising services again round here. Tricky job that.

I shot one once. Hugely satisfying. Spotted a fresh mole hill on the lawn that hadn't been there a few minutes earlier. Knowing the mole wouldn't be far away I got a stick and prodded the mound so it collapsed the tunnel and then went and got a shotgun. The mole detected the cave-in and came back to fix it. As soon as the hill started to heave I gave it a 42g SG from four feet away. Didn't do the lawn any favours but did the mole more good than a day at the seaside.

Edited by Gimlet

Mild wet winters are a nightmare for moles.
There's professional mole catchers advertising services again round here. Tricky job that.

I shot one once. Hugely satisfying. Spotted a fresh mole hill on the lawn that hadn't been there a few minutes earlier. Knowing the mole wouldn't be far away I got a stick and prodded the mound so it collapsed the tunnel and then went and got a shotgun. The mole detected the cave-in and came back to fix it. As soon as the hill started to heave I gave it a 42g SG from four feet away. Didn't do the lawn any favours but did the mole more good than a day at the seaside.

I once watched a friend smoke an entire box of cigarettes standing over a molehill with an auto 5. He was there for hours. Dedication. Fruitless but dedication nonetheless.
  • Haha 1