New Timberwolf TW230DHB

elfie

23 hours ago, PeteB said:

You cannot get the 35hp Kubota 1505 engine Tier 5 compliant. To get under the radar, it has to be under 25hp and to do that, it is run with a lower max rpm range. Hence the different noise and less power. We use the same in our Evo 165 and we both use the 37hp Vanguard petrol too. In theory you could break the seal and wind up the engine rpm to pre Tier 5 settings and swap pulleys/belts but it would absolutely void any warranty and possibly lead to litigation as you have jeopardised Kubotas status as a tier 5 supplier and they may strangle the supply of engines going forwards! I got lambasted last time this subject came up but I have to stand by the official line and also point out that these changes are in place for a better environment and we should all embrace these changes for the benefits of future generations....

..... Whilst we chop said Future Generations trees down  😆  K

Yes, but having lower horsepower means if takes longer to chip up than it did before, therefore running the chipper for longer, therefore putting out the same amount of carbon !
It's like when the eec  told us our kettles were too powerful., so haveing a kess powerful kettle took longer to boil, therefore using the same energy as the higher wattage one.

Or buy a petrol and the engine will never start when hot as it always causes vapour locks so you end up leaving the thing running all day.

We are going backwards not forwards
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, butters said:

Or buy a petrol and the engine will never start when hot as it always causes vapour locks so you end up leaving the thing running all day.

We are going backwards not forwards

Thanks. At last, someone else who can see that petrol engines on chippers are crap!

I find the Efi 37hp Vanguard to be a productive enough engine but have suffered 2 high pressure fuel pump failures in since new. 

I hope this was just a run of dodgy pumps and not a regular feature of Efi ownership. It has been fine since GM took it into their workshop.

I demoed a 35hp TW230 last Summer which was definitely a more productive machine thanks to 4 cylinder torque then later that same week a 26hp 3 pot diesel TP/FSI 175 which though a superbly engineered machine failed to excite after the TW though was quite adequate if you were not chipping up to the max.

I don't think I've ever experienced 'vapour lock' on any of the petrol chippers I've used but my Honda mower often won't restart once hot and needs leaving for 10min before trying again.

Stuart