Oxalic Acid

Big Beech

I am looking for some information, if possible on the use of the aforementioned Acid for the recovery of lost colour in wood.

I know that some woods, when milled produce some phenomenal colours but as the timber dries this disappears.

Is there any benefit in using this for restoration of colour along with a wood conditioner?

I am well out of my depth, so any information greatly appreciated.

Timber species specifically is Yellow Poplar and and Magnloia.

Edited by Big Beech

I am looking for some information, if possible on the use of the aforementioned Acid for the recovery of lost colour in wood.
I know that some woods, when milled produce some phenomenal colours but as the timber dries this disappears.
Is there any benefit in using this for restoration of colour along with a wood conditioner?
I am well out of my depth, so any information greatly appreciated.
Timber species specifically is Yellow Poplar and and Magnloia.

Easy stuff to use. Very strong. I use it on oak when doing any framing. Takes a good 24 -48 hours to do its thing it’s not an instant result but the results are very good.
Mind how you carry the timber after it’s been applied. It will transfer to skin and clothes. Quite unpleasant stuff.

I doubt it will recover lost colour ...in fact the complete opposite it is a bleach !!!

I’d agree. In my use for framing it’s cleaning it to give it that fresh cut colour.

I’d say big Beech would be better lightly sanding / planing dulled timber and treating and sealing it with something UV stable like Osmo maybe.

If it’s a pale ish colour yes. If you are talking about woods with dark or red colouration etc I’d be reluctant to use it. It’s a strong chemical bleach basically so likely to fade the colours you are trying to recover / preserve.
With redwoods I’ve had good results refinishing and sealing to liven the colour back up. Osmo is a good product to seal and UV stabilise which might help mate.