Black bamboo killer?

Lazurus

Question

10 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Lazurus said:

is there anything that will kill off the little bu88ers to save my back?

Hi, I made the mistake of planting bamboo [ not black ] protect a caravan and when it took hold it did the job but after a good few years it started putting out suckers up to about 3/4 yards away and it became obvious that it had to go.

I hit the main clumps with glyphosate several times which gradually worked very slowly, but I found the best way to get the suckers out was to undermine them as they're shallow and rip them out of the ground with a winch in the direction that they'd come from the main clumps and then treat any very small regrowth aggressively as it reappears....Wot a basturd.

If at all possible just cut to the chase at the start and get as much out with a small excavator.. I'd imagine that if you leave the main root clumps in the ground it'll probably come back anyway, good luck.

I had to remove a whole load of bamboo recently which had grown from a neighbouring garden and up to against a kerb.

It was over 6 inches thick and even with a 3 tonne excavator it took a lot of force to get it out. On open ground with a good toothed bucket or better a ripper tooth, it should tear out more easily.

It doesnt seem to have grown back much, but will treat any regrowth.