Manual or Automatic,thoughts please.?

5 shires

2 hours ago, difflock said:

Regardless of the exact mechanism, and mostly from experience of 1970/80's tractors, using the engine in lower gears gong downhill, worked better than the so-called brakes connected to the brake pedal.

My understanding was that a diesel engine  without fuel being injected acted like a positive displacement compressor, which will require significent energy/work to function, and that the Jake brake merely enhances this effect.

And now I gotta go and establish exactly how  a Jacobs brake works, thanks Clessie.

mth

Magnets on the prop shaft.

A

5 hours ago, difflock said:

And now I gotta go and establish exactly how  a Jacobs brake works, thanks Clessie.

Jake brakes basically change the exhaust valve timing so instead of suck, squeeze, bang, blow its more like a Suck, Squeeze, Squeeze, Pop... Don't start me off on euphemisms here. 

It keeps the exhaust valve closed on the blow/exhaust stroke and then the valve pops open when the piston is near the top so you effectively have 2 compression strokes, one after another. More compression=more braking

How any of this helps a guy chose between manual and automatic I don't know 😂

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

I've got a 2016 ranger 3.2 t6 manual.The heaviest I tow is a 28 ft caravan it returns 30mpg tows like you wouldn't know it's on the back.only thing to remember is if you do your own oil change you got to drain and fill and have the engine running with in 10 mins also check for oil leak at the bottom of the bell housing it will be rear crank seal leaking quite common fault other than they're awesome to drive.

18 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Sounds like a good plan. Personally I have always driven Manual unless forced by company cars etc etc. This thread has made me want to move to auto in the future. Why work harder, it's a work truck not a bare bones sport car ;) 

17 hours ago, tree_beard said:

I'd love one, thanks. But it's really a compression release brake. Engine braking is strictly speaking the closing of a throttle valve causing manifold vacuum.

As for shiny modern pickups... A box of chip and towing 750kg shouldn't be taxing for any of them. Ive only driven older rangers but the manual boxes have always been horrible, so try the auto. 

Hopefully you have a good local ford dealer in mind, newer rangers are not renowned for their trouble free motoring ask PeteB about his experiences.

I will be going for a 2013/14 Wildtrak and try and get one that’s done under 100k I don’t really want a showroom class one and the back will be coming off when converted so budget will be around 11k for the pick up and it’s going to be at least 4K to 6k for tipper conversion and at the end of the day it will be a work truck and will have a dog running around the cab every day,mud,fir,stains so it won’t be shiny for to long.

• Like 1

On 12/12/2020 at 15:10, 5 shires said:

Well time has come to replace my trusty 2008 old Wildtrak  Tipper which has just passed its MOT with just a number plate bulb needed but it’s done 0ver 200,000k so has a few advisories to deal with.

Will be sticking With a  Ranger Wildtrak 3.2 and looking at getting ether a 2013 to 15 model but thinking of going for an automatic which I have never had before so I need a little help for the advantages and disadvantages of a automatic over a manual in general and for towing so any help who be great..thank you.👍

Like most things in life, there are auto boxes and there are auto boxes. 

The Asian stuff is generally very reliable but not very clever and they feel rubbish compared to a decent auto box.

I believe the ranger 3.2 has a box which is fords own unit. Probably the same as fitted to their cars in the US. It is a bit clunky, not very clever but should be be good for towing and off road.  In fact of all the ranger issues I know people have had I've never heard of the box being an issue. 

A lot of companies use ZF. Ive got one in a Land rover, they are in Audi and probably loads of others. They are superb. Smooth, fast, great when towing.

Ive got another car from 2007 with a Getrag auto box and its nothing like the ZF in the newer land rover. Its smooth enough but takes an age to shift in comparison, however it handles a lot of power and torque very well and is apparently good for loads of miles. It will also locks the torque converter in 1st immediately so it launches better than a manual.

Another point, in my opinion an auto box is better off road. You have no loss of momentum when shifting gears which makes a huge difference when trying to maintain speed or accelerate up a hill. This is even more noticeable when towing off road.

• Like 1