Manual or Automatic,thoughts please.?

5 shires

Just now, tree_beard said:

Strictly speaking, diesel engines by their nature are not capable of engine braking. What youre thinking of as engine braking is mostly friction in the transmission and back pressure in the exhaust system. 

Just to be a derailing pendant... But it was a facepalm moment for me years ago when Reuben( the engineering wizard) explained how I was misusing the term

I guess so, I mean, you still have to create compression in the pistons, run the alternator, AC bla bla blaand I remember from an off-roading course I did it was referred to as "engine braking" but I suppose true engine braking is Jake brakes on a big cat diesel (they sound amazing btw). What's the term for Alternator/AC/powersteering/Fan/Engine/Gearbox/Transfer box braking anyway? 😂

1 hour ago, JaySmith said:

I have a manual 2015 L200 and when it was being repaired I had an auto L200 and auto ranger wildtrak on loan. The 2015 l200 auto always felt it was ‘hunting for a gear’ when cruise was set to 70mph on a long run. It was a shame as I’m a big fan of the l200 otherwise and have had 5 years of hassle free motoring with the Mitsubishi. Thinking of changing my manual for an auto soon and would deffo drive one to see if the newer one had the same issue.

I also had a 2016 Ranger wildtrak auto on loan, I loved the truck it was silky smooth and just felt more robust and complete than the l200 I had at the time. The 3.2 was a bit juicy but decent on a longer run. I only ever towed a sub 750kg trailer on road behind that one but you hardly knew it was there and the vehicle towed nicely. I really like the wildtrak’s but they are dear in comparison to the new l200 and what you can get for your money, but on the other hand the wildtrak has a decent spec

Thank you all again for taking the time to reply and advise and give your thoughts on the issue and much appreciate all the feedback.

i have had Rangers for the past 20yrs and will never have anything else so will be sticking with them and go for a 3.2 Wildtrak Auto and get a tipper conversion done,my old 2008 Wildtrak will do me for another year until I buy one and the time it will take to get it converted.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Jake Brake? 

I'd love one, thanks. But it's really a compression release brake. Engine braking is strictly speaking the closing of a throttle valve causing manifold vacuum.

As for shiny modern pickups... A box of chip and towing 750kg shouldn't be taxing for any of them. Ive only driven older rangers but the manual boxes have always been horrible, so try the auto. 

Hopefully you have a good local ford dealer in mind, newer rangers are not renowned for their trouble free motoring ask PeteB about his experiences.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tree_beard said:

I'd love one, thanks. But it's really a compression release brake. Engine braking is strictly speaking the closing of a throttle valve causing manifold vacuum.

As for shiny modern pickups... A box of chip and towing 750kg shouldn't be taxing for any of them. Ive only driven older rangers but the manual boxes have always been horrible, so try the auto. 

Hopefully you have a good local ford dealer in mind, newer rangers are not renowned for their trouble free motoring ask PeteB about his experiences.

I thought engine braking was when you close the throttle and the road wheels are now turning the engine rather than the engine turning the road wheels . Going down hill for example . The higher compression engine you have the more the braking effect will be . Try going down hill off the gas in say 3rd and then try the same in neutral .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Regardless of the exact mechanism, and mostly from experience of 1970/80's tractors, using the engine in lower gears gong downhill, worked better than the so-called brakes connected to the brake pedal.

My understanding was that a diesel engine  without fuel being injected acted like a positive displacement compressor, which will require significent energy/work to function, and that the Jake brake merely enhances this effect.

And now I gotta go and establish exactly how  a Jacobs brake works, thanks Clessie.

mth

If I understood the rather poor explanation, the Jake brake overrides normal exhaust valve operation, such that each upward piston stroke is a compression stroke, the valves only being opened to release the pressure after TDC, is this correct?

Edited by difflock
  • Like 2

Auto every time,  my last 2 Discos have been auto diesels,  plonk it in drive and off you go.    I pull trailers loaded to about 2.7 tonnes 3 or 4 days a week,   no downsides at all.  

But its a one way street,  its a pain having to go back to a manual.

A

• Like 1