Trees with low pollen

Dan27

Question

Hello, I have a very large tulip tree in my garden that has a Tpo on it. The tree is about 50ft in height and is very close to my house. The canopy overhangs my house and you can reach the branches from my sons window. 

My son is only 4 and it is suspected he is asthmatic (hard to diagnose at young age but he was premature, has exema and this year he has suffered with a poor cough and blood tests show that he is allergic to pollen.)

Doctors have suggested removing this tree may help with his allergens .

The tree has a Tpo and I have put an application in with the council to have it removed. 

Council have asked if I would plant another tree instead.

If I did this, it would be further away from the house but I am wondering if there are any trees that are low in pollen levels and are there any I should really avoid? 

Many Thanks. 

Edited by Dan27
Spelling

Whilst I agree with everyone else, it would've worth checking out OPALS. It is a rating system or the allergenic value of many plants and some trees. IF you did remove the tree, you might be able to find a tree ranked as low on the OPALS scale which might be a decent replacement.
Having the pollen source directly outside the window has potential for an increased amount of pollen to enter the room in my opinion. Whilst pollen is airborne I believe I read a study a while ago that said it doesn't really travel further than around hundred meters or so in high amounts. (that could be a completely wrong figure, but I know it wasn't as far as I thought it would be).
Still don't really think removal is the best option though

Hi, I will look at what Opals is, thanks. 

What would you say is best solution? 

My sons health is #1 importance to me. 

My garden is only about 15m2. The trunk is less than 3m from my back door and like I say the branches are within touching distance from my sons window. 

The tree is far too big for my small garden. 

My house was build in mid 90s with 10 other houses. The original plot had two homes. 

I assume the original owner planted the tree as they are 'attractive' but they planted it quite far from their home. 

Edited by Dan27

good stuff re asthma but yew berry snotty gogs are not poisonous, the seed in the middle is but better safe than sorry.
I think the red fleshy bit of the berry is actually the only non-toxic part of a yew tree. I've tried it out of interest, (and for the danger thrill if I'm honest!) a couple times. It's not bad but not very tasty either, not much point.

10 minutes ago, sime42 said:

I think the red fleshy bit of the berry is actually the only non-toxic part of a yew tree. I've tried it out of interest, (and for the danger thrill if I'm honest!) a couple times. It's not bad but not very tasty either, not much point.

Probably and I doubt I ever ate a whole one. From a very distant memory it was a sweet taste wasn't it? My mother talked about kids eating them during rationing when anything sweet was sought out.

On 13/12/2020 at 20:36, Dan27 said:

Hi, I will look at what Opals is, thanks. 

What would you say is best solution? 

My sons health is #1 importance to me. 

My garden is only about 15m2. The trunk is less than 3m from my back door and like I say the branches are within touching distance from my sons window. 

The tree is far too big for my small garden. 

My house was build in mid 90s with 10 other houses. The original plot had two homes. 

I assume the original owner planted the tree as they are 'attractive' but they planted it quite far from their home. 

3m from the house is too close for any mature tree in my opinion, allergenic or not 

• Like 2

Probably and I doubt I ever ate a whole one. From a very distant memory it was a sweet taste wasn't it? My mother talked about kids eating them during rationing when anything sweet was sought out.
Yes it's sweet but only very slightly. Strange sticky glutinous texture as well. I guess if there was nothing else sweet around ......