Overly trimmed cherry tree in winter

Ramprat

Question

Hi

I came across this site looking for advice, I have a medium well established cherry tree in my front garden that has been a go producer of fruit but since we moved in a few years ago we hadn't trimmed it partly due to other expensive job's being required and partly due to the fear of killing it as my neighbours lost both of theirs to disease.

Unfortunately it had become to overgrown and was impacting on a public path so we knew we had to get it sorted soon and being caught of guard this afternoon by a gentleman who knocked on the door to ask if we wanted it done at a reduced cost as he was doing another tree nearby I agreed.

Dispite asking him if it was ok to cut it in winter and him saying it was ok to do ive since read that you shouldn't cut fruit, especially cherry trees, when I'm damp or wet weather is likely, I.e winter!!

If just had another look at the work done and again Dispite asking for just a light trim as I know you shouldn't remove more than 10-20% it appears he's removed much more than that, possibly up to 50 or 60%!!

Is there anything I can do to help and protect the tree? In the past I know people used to apply limb sealers etc but I believe in recent times this has been shown to cause more harm, is that correct, I also saw elsewhere something about burning the wounds to seal and protect them and something else about using a insecticide or antifungal wash but again no real firm advice, any help or information anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated id hate to think I've killed this tree due to a stupid split second mistake and an idiot who clearly shouldn't be trimming trees.

I've attached a picture for reference of before and after

20201210_150837.jpg

20201210_151005.jpg

• Sad 3

No problem! Just have a look at pruning and how to cut to a branch collar. This video on youtube sums it up pretty well- 

It's pretty simple stuff but making the proper pruning cut is a big deal on trees like cherry's and plums that don't usually take well to pruning. You can see on the stub they cut off what happens when you leave stubs. For the branches that are a V you need to look for the branch bark ridge and you make a cut that is 45 degrees to the ridge and is as long as the ridge itself like the photo below. You can see how the cut is pretty much the same length as the branch bark ridge. novisiblecollar.gif.7e748c1516bf1a603b3ae66dcf8193f8.gif

Hopefully it springs to life, if not there's a good amount of fire wood in it. You can pick up nice mature cherry trees for about £100. If you've ever seen apple/pear/cherry orchards they all have shorter, younger heavily pruned trees as they fruit better anyway!

If it doesn't work out or you don't want to fix it yourself then there are lots of guys on here who can help depending on where you're based! 

Edited by Paddy1000111

Doubt you will kill it but it will sprout and look proper naff for a good few years and probably not produce any fruit for a while. 

Prune the bottom branch off and most of the other smaller ones remaining and it should resprout in spring. 

Oh and learn your lesson to not be had by pikeys

• Like 1

Words escape me, personally I wood fell and replant, the ongoing care will cost as much longer term to get a decent tree back, and a new tree will look far better and last longer. 

as to the mess left behind 🤦‍♂️

bloody pikeys are a major problem to the standards and way the industry is viewed by the public 🤬

• Like 1