Calling all Camp Gyro users

Paddy1000111

Ok so a gyro on a semi-permanent connection such as the DMM shackle pictured above or Petzel Open ring would be compliant also?

Semi permanent being the operative phrase. Tart rock climbers do the same thing as tart tree climbers when they leave their belay device on their front loop giving it perfect opportunity to flap and hit them in the balls.

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Semi permanent being the operative phrase. Tart rock climbers do the same thing as tart tree climbers when they leave their belay device on their front loop giving it perfect opportunity to flap and hit them in the balls.

Thankyou for your interest in my balls but I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, krummholz said:

Ok so a gyro on a semi-permanent connection such as the DMM shackle pictured above or Petzel Open ring would be compliant also?

It has to be a closed device, I.e something that can't be opened and closed without a tool. Those DMM shackles are classed as closed as they are an assembled component as opposed to a carabiner which is open

I had wondered if it was because you're adding an extra component in, an extra link in the chain that can potentially fail. The benefits conveyed but the use of the gyro far outweigh the risk of failure imo.

I'm going to try either a Petzl Open with some rubbers to keep the gyro away from loading the wee plastic section, or the Courant Odin.

Just now, krummholz said:

I had wondered if it was because you're adding an extra component in, an extra link in the chain that can potentially fail. The benefits conveyed but the use of the gyro far outweigh the risk of failure imo.

I'm going to try either a Petzl Open with some rubbers to keep the gyro away from loading the wee plastic section, or the Courant Odin.

Afaik it's to do with what can be opened or cut during the climb. Carabiners can rub open, fabrics can get cut. Same reason for not being able to use a carabiner for your anchor, they can rub open. You would be doing well for it to fail, it's made of steel and tested and the weakest one they tested was 26kn. I trust it, there's nothing to really go wrong on it, no screws to come loose or anything. 

The bend radius isn't bad on the gyro and I haven't had my bridge glaze or anything. I would just prefer a slightly larger bend radius still run mine on the bridge! 

The new gyro 4 is out now too ;) 

• 3 months later...
On 09/12/2020 at 21:29, Paddy1000111 said:

Lots of views and no replies. Even if you aren't a current gyro user what do you want to see for a bridge swivel device for 2 rope working? I've badly photoshopped a gyro with one of the rings being the size of the stock rope bridge ring that comes on a Treemotion. In my mind that allows me to put a 3rd anchor out and attach it into the gyro on the rope bridge which would allow me to roll in the harness. That's my ideal, what's yours? 

Lol, first line... after reading through the whole thread, I'll bet you regret asking for replies ! Tough crowd !

With regards to the gyro, it's too skinny for me ! Like was mentioned in the thread, it'd be better on a pulley too, with a Becket for saftey. I like the rook/hydra, but I don't like how it orientates the system on a left to right. The gyro looks to solve this problem, but I don't really want all this rotation. Just my own personal preference.

I did an introduction to srt course/day last week. Unfortunately it seems to be aimed at the total novice, but it was nice to climb in front of an instructor and make sure that I've not developed any bad habits/techniques in my path to including srt to my climbing work life. The instructor had a gyro. He had us all climbing on two lines, I wasn't a fan, but I can see the possible benefits.

I suppose that like anything in life, we may struggle to learn something new. But as we get used to it, we wonder what all the fuss was about !

I don't claim any idea of the rules re twin rope, but I was under the impression that they both had to be able to get you down. Before chatting to Ben at land skills training, I thought a side strop while cutting was enough 🤷‍♂️.

If you're still in touch with camp, tell them that Rob wants it on a pulley, it needs to be visibly stronger, and lots of colours !

Rob.

• 5 months later...

I've been using the Camp Gyro threaded on my rope bridge for over a year. I've noticed no problems with excessive wear to the Platinum rope bridges I've used during that time. I love it as a rope bridge swival due to the low weight and compactness. Camp has not (yet) specifically condemned the use of the Gyro on a rope bridge but they haven't officially embraced that use in their technical instructions either. Camp does describe attaching rope or webbing to the attachment holes with knots.

doc.camp.it/Manuali/GYRO_MANUALE%20r0.pdf

Camp Gyro Swivel action.png

Camp Gyro Swivel.png

Edited by Aerialtraveler

• 1 month later...
On 10/12/2020 at 11:51, Khriss said:

Stainless  Ring, aluminium can fatigue crack over the yrs. K

( esp if you use it to pull shit with a Range Rover) 

Aluminium WILL crack given enough load cycles as it has not got a "fatigue limit" That is the limiting stress below which a fatigue crack will NEVER initiate no matter how many cycles.. [rest of your gear will probably have fallen to bits by then though]

There are many forms of fatigue mind you and you would have to be a metallurgist to understand them all..

john..