what size logs fit in Shepherds Hut , Canal Boat log burning stoves?

cessna

As per title ,any idea of the range of sizes of logs that will fit in  very small log burners as fitted in Shepherds Huts and canal boats. 

How much of a premium do any of you charge for cutting mini logs 6"inches and under as they must be so time consuming to cut!!!! 

Only my own firewood but I generally cut to 11" for my stove so when blocking it up I'm always left with wee noggins that I throw in a pile to season just under a suspended tarp where the wind can get in, being just small split remnants it's more like a pile of coal and dries much quicker being small and when seasoned which takes much less time makes an extra reserve kinda fallback source of fuel and often  an excellent fire with a wide mix of species which get thrown in randomly.

Friends of mine with a very small stove love the stuff as it's ideal for they're situation but also a product that everyone that cuts firewood has plenty of👍

23 hours ago, cessna said:

As per title ,any idea of the range of sizes of logs that will fit in  very small log burners as fitted in Shepherds Huts and canal boats. 

How much of a premium do any of you charge for cutting mini logs 6"inches and under as they must be so time consuming to cut!!!! 

Sometimes it isn't the length of the log it's the width,  we have a customer with huts and the stoves are feed through a hole in the top,  we don't cut the logs any different 8" but when we are stacking pallets we pick out nets with smaller diameter logs on a separate pallet 

On 08/12/2020 at 22:11, cessna said:

I've not found very small burners in narrow boats, Morso Squirrel seemed popular and that takes over a 10" log.

I tried to interest my local boatyard in nets of logettes from slabwood passed through a branch logger. The costs didn't compare well with coal. Also at this time of year the stove needs to be kept running constantly and kept in overnight.

I would consider  the small logs from a branch logger for my own use if I had access to one and was able to handle IBCs or potato boxes of them straight from machine to seasoned in store to fire with no handling in between.

20 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

I've not found very small burners in narrow boats, Morso Squirrel seemed popular and that takes over a 10" log.

I tried to interest my local boatyard in nets of logettes from slabwood passed through a branch logger. The costs didn't compare well with coal. Also at this time of year the stove needs to be kept running constantly and kept in overnight.

I would consider  the small logs from a branch logger for my own use if I had access to one and was able to handle IBCs or potato boxes of them straight from machine to seasoned in store to fire with no handling in between.

There speaks the voice of experience, I had a MS on my narrowboat, I cut logs to 10". Roughy. 

200mm should fit just about everything.

250mm would fit a Squirrell but new smaller stoves such as Charnwoods Aire 3  for small highly insulated places need shorter logs.    The ARADA Puffin needs 200mm from memory,  I am not aware of any stove that needs shorter than 200mm.

A

8 hours ago, Marc Lewis said:

I charge a little mor fore logs 6" and smaller. They are more time consuming to convert,

Yes

there is more waste

Yes

and you get more volume on a load.

That's plain ambiguous, yes you get more volume for the same weight so it looks a bigger load.