Chain oil not coming onto the bar ??

Al Slitter

3 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

still wearing those rose tinted glasses...

you might be in for a bit of a shock 

How so John ? You don’t know me and I doubt you have met many women like me, I have never had an easy life so I’m used to being shattered or bitterly cold and soaked through and I can handle highly stressful situations because I have looked after myself since I was seven years old. Are you a tree surgeon ?

• Like 3

Just now, Moose McAlpine said:

I will trade you all of my bad days!

(You can have today to start with, it was boring.)

😛

I know it is annoying when you break down moose 😬 I saw your posts today, I like following the work you all do and I do wish I could get into this industry right now !!! I would happily work as a groundie and learn by watching but there is absolutely nothing available and that’s not going to improve thanks to Covid causing mass unemployment, and on top of that there is sexism and ageism to deal with 👎🏻 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

still wearing those rose tinted glasses...

you might be in for a bit of a shock 

As a friend once said..

"Some people pursue a life quite different, only to find out it's not really what they wanted after all..

And some people are ****************ing hardcore."

(He is the latter, giving up a well-paid plant mechanic job to go home to Texas to start up doing on-site machinery repairs in the oilfield.)

As Sam said, we don't know her. If it's something she wants to do i would only offer her encouragement and good luck. She needs to do and see it for herself, and i'm sure she'll deal with whatever the outcome is.

I gave up an "easy" 50k a year job on the AA to pursue a life as a tree surgeon in France. Covid has put a significant dent in those plans but i'll get there one day. It's better to go and find out for yourself rather than spend the rest of your life wondering what could've been. If it doesn't work out we pick up and move on.

Sam has more interest, enthusiasm and willingness to learn than guys i work with, in their early 20s who are working as tree surgeons, getting trained. She has the drive and determination, best of luck to her. She'll see the industry in time and can make her own judgement on whether it's right for her.

(As much as i enjoy the work and being outdoors, when it rains i want to be a welder, working inside in the dry.)

17 minutes ago, SamanthaSunny said:

I know it is annoying when you break down moose 😬 I saw your posts today, I like following the work you all do and I do wish I could get into this industry right now !!! I would happily work as a groundie and learn by watching but there is absolutely nothing available and that’s not going to improve thanks to Covid causing mass unemployment, and on top of that there is sexism and ageism to deal with 👎🏻 

It is, moreso as i worked as a mechanic for 13 years, the last 3 at the AA doing breakdowns. We could've been towed back to the yard, i could've got my van and trailer, loaded up the work van, taken it home and banged a clutch in it by 5pm. Oh well!

You'll get there, stay positive and determined. Someone will see the potential in you as a tree surgeon and realise the asset you can be. 💪🏻

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SamanthaSunny said:

How so John ? You don’t know me and I doubt you have met many women like me, I have never had an easy life so I’m used to being shattered or bitterly cold and soaked through and I can handle highly stressful situations because I have looked after myself since I was seven years old. Are you a tree surgeon ?

yes i’m a tree surgeon, ive run my own business contracting for the last 13 years  and worked as a subcontract climber and for company’s for 7 years before that so i’m well versed on the industry 

your right, i know nothing of you, what you’ve been through or tolerated in your life. But i do know the tree industry

sex and all the differences between men and women aside, coming into this industry over the age of 30 is hard. if you were a professional footballer, 35 is getting toward the end of your professional career and believe me being a tree surgeon especially a climber is a damn site harder than being a professional footballer with all the support, physical and monetary that comes with that profession 

essentially you’d join the industry as a apprentice, regardless of wether you’ve completed a 4 week multi ticket course or not.  you will cost money for whoever you work for initially and your pay will reflect that. it’ll take 3 years minimum to get upto a commercial speed but more likely 5, at which point you may well be over 40

if you’ve never had a particularly physical job or maintained a good level of fitness outside of your day job then dragging brash, moving timber or climbing round trees all day will be physically demanding. now add the endless rain we seem to get over winter  and something that looks great fun when your sat at a desk looking out the window suddenly isn’t quite how you imagined it would be 

I could go on and on

best of luck 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, John Shutler said:

yes i’m a tree surgeon, ive run my own business contracting for the last 13 years  and worked as a subcontract climber and for company’s for 7 years before that so i’m well versed on the industry 

your right, i know nothing of you, what you’ve been through or tolerated in your life. But i do know the tree industry

sex and all the differences between men and women aside, coming into this industry over the age of 30 is hard. if you were a professional footballer, 35 is getting toward the end of your professional career and believe me being a tree surgeon especially a climber is a damn site harder than being a professional footballer with all the support, physical and monetary that comes with that profession 

essentially you’d join the industry as a apprentice, regardless of wether you’ve completed a 4 week multi ticket course or not.  you will cost money for whoever you work for initially and your pay will reflect that. it’ll take 3 years minimum to get upto a commercial speed but more likely 5, at which point you may well be over 40

if you’ve never had a particularly physical job or maintained a good level of fitness outside of your day job then dragging brash, moving timber or climbing round trees all day will be physically demanding. now add the endless rain we seem to get over winter  and something that looks great fun when your sat at a desk looking out the window suddenly isn’t quite how you imagined it would be 

I could go on and on

best of luck 

I like you and I like your honesty but I’m going to come back to you on this in a private message because I want to change your mind. 

• Like 3