Using a 4mm File instead of 4.5mm

Witterings

I've got a Makita 355Z which takes an Oregon 90PX052 chain that supposedly needs a 4.5mm file but all my other saws take 4mm and is easier to have one for all .... I have a normal guide I can use the 4.5mm file in but prefer to use the Pferd 2 in 1 sharpener which literally cuts my sharpening time down to a 1/3 and you can't get them with 4.5mm files.

I spoke to a retailer ..... Stihl do sell a Micro Mini chain that uses a 4mm file that will fit but he says it won't last that long in comparison and doesn't cut as well and he'd just use a 4mm file on the Oregon instead ... He also mentioned that the Oregon is really "tight" fit for a 4.5mm file when it's new and diffucult to use .... this is true as I tried it this weekend, it was difficult to get in and really hard to take the intial strokes until you'd done a few (worn away some of the metal) and then it eased up.

Is there any downside to using the smaller file size on the Oregon chain or anything else I should be aware of??

I can't see a problem. Important thing is getting the cutting angles on the top plate correct. Using your Pferd sharpner with the Pferd specified file diameter is more important in that respect.

Ultimately the cut in the wood will give you your answer.

• Like 1

It’s the height of the teeth.

Most Oregon chain teeth are minutely taller than a stihl chain.

That’s why Oregon often reccomend a larger file size than other brands.

However there is a debate about reducing file size when the cutter has been reduced ie:50%.

As the teeth aren’t flat but slope down to the rear.

For further reading have a look at the advanced chain sharpening thread on arbtalk.

[emoji106]

• Thanks 1

Cheers guys ... thanks for the replies I won't "sweat it" as they say ... as long as it's not going to do any real damage / cause kickback or anything it's kind of a no-brainer.

One thing about using a smaller file,
It can be used to dig into the side plate increasing the “hook” of the tooth.
This can increase the risk of kickback.
[emoji106]

I can understand where you're coming from with the above comments if its freehand filing. With Witterings proposed Pferd 2 in 1 filing tool he'll be referencing off the top of the tooth, I think ?

Edited by bmp01
User name correction, apologies !