Wet Gear Drying

Mike Patrick

20 minutes ago, NJA said:

Tube heaters are economical to run and safe overnight something like this; https://www.screwfix.com/p/dimplex-ecot2ft-wall-mounted-tubular-heater-80w-713-x-81mm/1796f

I'm not sure that would give out enough heat but then you only have to get the temperature up to about 22C so that a dehumidifier like @Paddy1000111 suggests in a wardrobe sized enclosure will dry most things.

Boots and chainsaw trousers from drenched to wearable using a  200W dehumidifier  overnight, in an alcove that previously housed an old gas boiler in the kitchen and will get 10 litres of water out in 24hrs. As the water is condensed the energy used by the dehumidifier is added to heat the small space, mine has the central heating pipes running through it.

• Like 1

Not saying you wouldn't need a heater but as @openspaceman said, the dehumidifier heats the room. I've put it in one of the bathrooms to dry bedsheets as the weather is awful and it was really humid. That room was really warm and dry with no heater. Whole bedsheet set dried in a few hours!

I'd suggest that if you have a room in mind then buy the best dehumidifier you can and try it. If everything is dry by the morning then call it a day, if it isn't dry then look at heating. That dehumidifier I linked I can highly recommend though, I've had it for 2 years of continuous use and it's never missed a beat.

There are two reasons why a bit of warmth helps,  one is that the dehumidifier removes water from the air by passing it over a cold surface to condense it, if it's too cold the heat exchanger ices up and stops working, this causes mine to pause and defrost.

The other is that you are circulating moist air into the dehumidifier, condensing it and sending warmer, drier air out but air holds more moisture when it is warm, so you need to circulate less warm air to get the same drying. Air at freezing point holds a tenth of the moisture of air at 40C.

• Like 1

One i built for the company i worked for was a cupboard out of that pierced hardboard veroboard or summat, put one of those shop window heaters in bottom and small fan at top. 50watt heater n 15watt fan was same current  as a light bulb, just leave it on, ropes n saw trousers done by morning. K

Edited by Khriss
Little dish of dettol solution inside to kill the bugs

2kw oil heaters too much fr cupboard dryer. 

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Tubular Greenhouse Heaters. Adjustable thermostat. Guard for 55W Tubular Heater. 55W & 90W Models have an adjustable thermostat. Guard for 80W/90W Tubular Heaters. White coated...