Power take off from 4x4

Mrblue5000

47 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

PTO will work on a landrover but not on a side plate gearbox PTO like on the jap 4x4`s. The landrover PTO comes straight off the back of the transfer box and if its run in 4th gear the engine is directly coupled to the PTO without using any of the gears (4th is 1.1 and only coupled). The type that run off side plates of gearboxes max out at about 30hp and thats for a truck box.

Bob

Is there the space to run a proper PTO shaft out the back of the gearbox to the rear?

Seen lots of utilities vans with prop-driven PTOs. The first prop section has a splitter for the PTO in it, but only seen them to drive generators and air compressors. They run in 4th at high idle.

3 hours ago, dumper said:

So how will it work the 90 can’t carry it so you are going to use a trailer  then there is the oil cooler and electric supply the chipper will need it’s own hoses, the landrover will have to have a hand throttle fitted and a tacho to show revs . If the idea floated someone would have already got one, the cost will be far more than a engine version plus you will be running on white diesel I see no benefits to a trailed or pto version

Yeah, I think you've hit a lot of nails on the head here, it was just a brain fart I had on a Sunday afternoon. Explains why no one has done it.  By having a pto, it's a long shot, but it could be considered an agricultural vehicle, so could run on cheaper diesel and road tax. 

Edited by Mrblue5000

13 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Is there the space to run a proper PTO shaft out the back of the gearbox to the rear?

Seen lots of utilities vans with prop-driven PTOs. The first prop section has a splitter for the PTO in it, but only seen them to drive generators and air compressors. They run in 4th at high idle.

You can get a pto to the rear of a landrover quite easily, they used to make a box that reversed rotation and stepped down the speed to make it the same as a tractor PTO ,this  bolted to the rear cross member and gave you the pto spline, weak point is the clutch plate hub centre which needs beefing up. Engine speed is then controlled with a speedic unit to maintain correct pto rpm. I have a few kits in the shed, I will take some snaps.

Bob

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Yeah, I think you've hit a lot of nails on the head here, it was just a brain fart I had on a Sunday afternoon. Explains why no one has done it.  By having a pto, it's a long shot, but it could be considered an agricultural vehicle, so could run on cheaper diesel and road tax. 

I don't think a PTO would make it be classed as agricultural. Lots of vehicles have PTOs. Utility vans and trucks mostly. Any truck with hydraulics has a PTO so tippers, cement mixers, bulk haulers, recovery trucks, Hiabs, etc.

2 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

You can get a pto to the rear of a landrover quite easily, they used to make a box that reversed rotation and stepped down the speed to make it the same as a tractor PTO ,this  bolted to the rear cross member and gave you the pto spline, weak point is the clutch plate hub centre which needs beefing up. Engine speed is then controlled with a speedic unit to maintain correct pto rpm. I have a few kits in the shed, I will take some snaps.

Bob

Never knew that! Quite an interesting setup.

Is there anything you haven't got in the shed? 🤔

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Mrblue5000 said:

By having a pto, it's a long shot, but it could be considered an agricultural vehicle, so could run on cheaper diesel and road tax. 

Sadly it doesn't really work like that. Agricultural vehicles that run red derv and have agri road tax are only meant to be on the road between fields etc. They aren't for driving 30 miles to cut down a tree. I wanted an agri quad but it would be for pleasure/commuting and I couldn't ever say I was going between fields 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

If it was a Landrover , deisel, you could swing it -  , but then just buy Unimog , lot of stuff run on those Landrover PTO but is it worth the arse ?  K  

WWW.UNIMOGS.CO.UK

LWB U500 with hydraulic rear PTO. 279HP. Very well equipped Unimog with: - X4 hydraulics - Additional hydraulic services for hook loader trailer etc. - Working group gears - Front PTO...

Even this unimog has a hydraulic rear PTO? 

*Edit* Just realised that it actually means that it has hydraulic outputs not a hydraulic PTO.

On a side note, anyone ever fitted an engine driven hydraulic pump with outputs on a sprinter/transit and had a trailer with a mini hi-ab on it? You could bin off the electric hyd pump for the tipper back etc to get rid of the excess weight and then have a 3.5t trailer that could load up chunks or even builders bags of logs? 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2

There is nearly three times the power of a 6" chipper under the hood of a Landrover , there is no reason why it couldnt be sorted out properly to equal or out perform a tow chipper. Most PTO chippers need tinkering with to get the best out of them, an example of this is a lot of guys run 540 rpm pto chippers at 1000rpm and then turn the engine revs down. Once you get it right they are good, not many are fit and forget.

Bob

Edited by aspenarb