Power take off from 4x4

Mrblue5000

Apart from Unimogs has anyone here fitted a PTO to a 4x4? Thinking of trying it on a Toyota Land Cruiser, 90 series swb to power a chipper.  I know Land Rover used to have it as an option years ago. I think Toyota might have had it as an option on the early ones too. I did a bit of googling but can only find pto units for older Land Cruisers. 

Defenders have the option for a hydraulic pump on the transfer box. Can't you do something similar on the Toyota? Having a hydraulic pump and a hydraulic motor seems less aggressive on the engine and easier to fit? Is there a hydraulic pump with a PTO?. 

If you wack something big in at least you will have some cushioning for the engine/gearbox with a hydraulic system with an overpressure valve etc than running it on a PTO. Tbh, a PTO sounds like a good way to start ruining dual mass flywheels and bearings 

Is it a cable or fly by wire throttle? You're also going to have to look at a manual throttle/high idle switch

Edited by Paddy1000111

This is the sort of thing I was on about. No idea if you could have enough power. That's another issue with the PTO drive from a 4x4 is having the right RPM 

WWW.FLOWFITONLINE.COM

"Hydraulic motor 80,8 cc/rev p.t.o. male shaft 1 3/8 from our range of FFPMS/EPMS Motors, part of our wide collection of Hydraulic Motors."

• Like 1

So how will it work the 90 can’t carry it so you are going to use a trailer  then there is the oil cooler and electric supply the chipper will need it’s own hoses, the landrover will have to have a hand throttle fitted and a tacho to show revs . If the idea floated someone would have already got one, the cost will be far more than a engine version plus you will be running on white diesel I see no benefits to a trailed or pto version

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dumper said:

So how will it work the 90 can’t carry it so you are going to use a trailer  then there is the oil cooler and electric supply the chipper will need it’s own hoses, the landrover will have to have a hand throttle fitted and a tacho to show revs . If the idea floated someone would have already got one, the cost will be far more than a engine version plus you will be running on white diesel I see no benefits to a trailed or pto version

100% agree. Plus the additional stress on the truck. I was just saying that if you were going to PTO a 4x4 a hyd pump is the only way I could see doing it. Like you say it would need a hand throttle or a high idle switch fitted which would be easy enough to set up for a particular RPM. Either way, none of this is financially viable. I assume the OP has seen that PTO chippers are 1/3 of the price of a trailer and wanted to work with it? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mrblue5000 said:

Apart from Unimogs has anyone here fitted a PTO to a 4x4? Thinking of trying it on a Toyota Land Cruiser, 90 series swb to power a chipper.  I know Land Rover used to have it as an option years ago. I think Toyota might have had it as an option on the early ones too. I did a bit of googling but can only find pto units for older Land Cruisers. 

The hydraulic PTOs you get on 4x4s and Sprinters are really only for stuff like hydraulic winches. The pumps are about the same size and output as what a chipper has to power the feed rollers. You won't get enough out of it to power an entire chipper assembly.

PTO will work on a landrover but not on a side plate gearbox PTO like on the jap 4x4`s. The landrover PTO comes straight off the back of the transfer box and if its run in 4th gear the engine is directly coupled to the PTO without using any of the gears (4th is 1.1 and only coupled). The type that run off side plates of gearboxes max out at about 30hp and thats for a truck box.

Bob

• Like 2