A New Felling Technique?

Haironyourchest

1 minute ago, s o c said:

We invented this for pushing over trees about 25 years ago .

lightweight , 2 handles on one end, other end fitted nicely around stem.

had to shelve it though, people kept misusing it for other stuff 😃

996C58A2-2D08-46BB-8464-D7CB75B53138.jpeg

Bout only thing they  useful for,  bloody hate ladders  😑 K

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I'm not pushing with the pole in the vid, rather lifting the pole, just like a felling bar.

Same principle as a cant hook. Suppose it kinda works if you're alone, but what if the pole slips off the top? The damn tree's gonna land on you.

This is why you get someone to pull it over with a rope while you make your cuts.

Edited by Moose McAlpine

26 minutes ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Same principle as a cant hook. Suppose it kinda works if you're alone, but what if the pole slips off the top? The damn tree's gonna land on you.

This is why you get someone to pull it over with a rope while you make your cuts.

Exactly. The imaginary safety sticker on the ProPush® clearly states that it's only to be used like a felling bar, which is to say, on mild back-leaners. But it will outperform a felling bar on heavy trees, or accomplish the same work as a felling bar with less effort, and, arguably less risk. The forces generated by a felling bar, or pounding wedges, are in the same direction as the stem. The force and fulcrum (hinge) are very close together, therefore, inefficient. You need a lot of upward force to move the tree a bit sideways. You're basically lifting the tree instead of pushing or pulling it. Now, with a rope, your lever arm is the tree itself, the higher up the stem, the greater possible leverage (taking the angle of pull into consideration). The ProPush® is somewhere between a rope and a felling bar. It also allows you to stand further back from the tree, which is good for safety.

19 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Exactly. The imaginary safety sticker on the ProPush® clearly states that it's only to be used like a felling bar, which is to say, on mild back-leaners. But it will outperform a felling bar on heavy trees, or accomplish the same work as a felling bar with less effort, and, arguably less risk. The forces generated by a felling bar, or pounding wedges, are in the same direction as the stem. The force and fulcrum (hinge) are very close together, therefore, inefficient. You need a lot of upward force to move the tree a bit sideways. You're basically lifting the tree instead of pushing or pulling it. Now, with a rope, your lever arm is the tree itself, the higher up the stem, the greater possible leverage (taking the angle of pull into consideration). The ProPush® is somewhere between a rope and a felling bar. It also allows you to stand further back from the tree, which is good for safety.

I see what you're saying, but in the fight between you and gravity you're in the worst possible position, without a quick easy escape route should it go wrong.

Granted, small trees with mild lean, but even one of those can do some significant damage should it land on you.

IMG_18126425591382.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Interesting idea, I have to think about this some more. The felling lever is more complicated than it first appears because of the mechanical advantage from the front to the back of the tongue. It needs a higher force at the point of application, but that compound lever gives you that higher force.

In the end what matters is the movement of the handle for each degree movement you cause in the stem.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

This is rambling nonsense of someone who clearly hasn’t a clue what he is doing in the tree world and your video is proof.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stephen Blair said:

This is rambling nonsense of someone who clearly hasn’t a clue what he is doing in the tree world and your video is proof.

Them's fight'n words, Blair...

I'll have you know, I hold a CS39 ticket and do technical removals for my bread and butter. I live and breath angles of force and stuff. I also invented the 3 Wheel Barrow and have 400+ YouTube subscribers. Basically I've been around a while.

When my invention takes off, your crew will be begging you to buy one.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2