Multi-Fuel burner recommendation

Maybe.  What I'm suggesting is, look at the weight of the stove, not just the steel/cast construction.  Besides that the only 2 stoves I have significant experience of are a Franco belge Belfort (cast iron, 5kW) and a Stockton 5 from stovax (steel body, cast door, 5kW).  Iirc they are both about 85Kg, although the stovax must have a kilo or two more steel as the Franco belge has heavy old refractory brick.  I've had the top plate off the Belfort so I know it's side and back plate are only about 3mm thick.  The stovax looks thicker around the door opening... But can't be loads as the weights are similar.  Of the two the Belfort throws brutal heat, the Stockton is much less so.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

No ashpan then, do you just shovel ash out?

Yes . It comes with a small " top handled " shovel . Wood burns best on a bed of ash so best to leave some in the bottom , usually glowing embers anyway .

Edited by Stubby

If you are looing for a cast iron box with a fire in it check out clearview stoves

For a more technical stove a brick lined, steel, firebox is the way to go. The difference (I have owned both) is like a Land Rover verses an Audi TT.

My current fire is a Stovax, it has a similar 'issue' with ash falling out to @roys Flavel, Stovax don't care either. Both were likely designed by some aerodynamisist stting in an office who still lives with mommy in her gas centrally heated Wimpy box.

The Stovax has a cast iron door and they supply a loose top (ie it lifts of ...) in cast iron. It's a good stove and chucks out a fair amount of heat quickly, certainly faster than the old Clearview did. The stove does cool quicker but then it's less only half the mass.

Clearview stoves don't have a cast iron body, that link is to a well known company that sells, I suspect,  far eastern coarse grain cast iron stoves.

I have first hand experience of a few of the models they sell and going by their response to warranty approaches , I wouldny touch them with a bargepole.

Edited by slim reaper