Multi-Fuel burner recommendation

39 minutes ago, Stubby said:

My steel stove is still warm in the morning . You can put your hand on the top but still warm . Remove some of the ash and there are the glowing embers . Bit of kindling and away it goes again .

Exactly this, although I have a Clearview Pioneer 400.

• Like 2

Most manufacturers today build the majority of their stoves with a one piece steel body and a cast iron door.   Less joints for air to get in than a cast stove and far lower production costs as the body can be folded from sheet steel by robots.  

Cast will hold the heat somewhat longer than steel but you would be hard pressed to see a difference.

Clearview were good stoves in their day,  but technology moves on and efficiency levels increase, Clearview have stayed rooted in the past.    In 2014 the minimum efficiency levels changed from 55% to 65%,  in 2022 its going to 75% and 2025 to 80%.   You will note that the Clearview web site does not show many efficiency levels,  yet all other manufactures do,  it is I believe a legal requirement to advise prospective buyers of energy and efficiency levels.  

Stoves from Chanwood, Arada and Esse are all made from scratch in the UK, Morso in Denmark.    Not assembled in the UK from Chinese or eastern European parts,  these are allowed to be called  'Made in the UK' .  

If you want a traditional cast iron stove then look at the Charnwood Skye and the Morso Badger 3116,  highly efficient,  minimal emissions, 2025 compliant, made in the UK or Denmark for the Morso.   Costly yes but heirloom quality products.

A

• Like 2

8 hours ago, slim reaper said:

Steel stoves start chucking the heat out faster than cast stoves, my stove top fan starts spinning in less than 7min from first lighting.

I have Clearview vision 500, data plate says 71.6% efficiency

0B63E8F9-5747-4843-9928-6D901C60A449.jpeg

My steel Burley spins the fans in that sorta time also . Think it 89% efficiency with 20% or less MC wood . 

Edited by Stubby

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

My steel Burley  

Hi Stubby, what model of Burley do you have? I am moving house in January & there is a Burley Hollywell (9105?) already fitted. Do you know if this is only a wood burner or is it multifuel? The seller doesn`t know & I can`t find any info to say that it is multifuel.

thanks in advance!

1 hour ago, Logdaft said:

Hi Stubby, what model of Burley do you have? I am moving house in January & there is a Burley Hollywell (9105?) already fitted. Do you know if this is only a wood burner or is it multifuel? The seller doesn`t know & I can`t find any info to say that it is multifuel.

thanks in advance!

Hi Log . Mine is a Hollywell wood only . I think there is a multi fuel version but if its wood only it will have no grate . Just a solid vermiculite lined floor .

I've read time and time again that cast iron is a softer heat, and stays warm longer.... Well I tend to think it's much more down to the design of the stove.  Google tells me cast iron has a lower specific heat capacity than carbon steel (460 Vs 520 J/KgK). So for the same mass the cast stove would get hotter and cool quicker.  It needs about 15% more mass to behave more like the steel stove.