Lathe chuck

gobbypunk

So a question for all you wood turners ,when I had my accident and couldnt walk I started to do wood turning was donated some ni e chisels so I now have a clarke lathe that the head stack turns outward to do quite big stuff but I want a chuck for it so I looked on ebay and axminster tools and there were loads so can you guys please give me some help in what to get ,I want to make bowls and vases and when I get the hang of it turn quite big things .

Thanks Mark

• Like 1

So a question for all you wood turners ,when I had my accident and couldnt walk I started to do wood turning was donated some ni e chisels so I now have a clarke lathe that the head stack turns outward to do quite big stuff but I want a chuck for it so I looked on ebay and axminster tools and there were loads so can you guys please give me some help in what to get ,I want to make bowls and vases and when I get the hang of it turn quite big things .
Thanks Mark
Hi mark
Welcome to the weird and wonderful of woodturning. As for as I can work out ( from another forum ) Clarke lathes are slightly more difficult to get parts for than more commonly known makes. I do know that Clarke lathes are also sold under various other names, so for me the best bet would be to ring someone like axminster up and actually talk to them and then they would be able to advise you.
Sorry for not being more helpful.

Clark lathes have a 3/4 inch by 16 tpi  headstock thread, but do check this, axminster chucks are excellent. If you are buying new make sure you buy the jaw carriers that screw onto the chuck, without these you cant mount the various chuck jaws.

A 4inch chuck will be adequate, dovetail jaws and gripper jaws will give you a good starting setup.

The Axminster chucks are excellent ( and locally made I believe ) I have had one for 20+ years and it has coped with lumps of up to 25 KG regularly  , i think you get a "back plate" with the chuck suited to most threads which is interchangable .....the chuck will always sell secondhand if you give up !!