Paying yourself - how much?

kelsey

On 04/12/2020 at 12:41, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I've been going about 3 years now and everything I have made has went on new equipment. The new equipment makes me able to do more tasks which results in more work. Advertising has helped me and I'm rarely without work but running out of space to store stuff. I would advise anyone to invest in their business and expect a hard 3 years till you have everything in place and then its all down hill and you can even refuse work. I'm beginning to chose my work now which is the position everyone is trying to get too.

What have you invested in during your 3 years hard graft?

Stuart

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Ty Korrigan said:

What have you invested in during your 3 years hard graft?

Stuart

Supposedly every time someone takes the piss he goes and buys himself a new piece of equipment. In the three months he's been here he must have bought the whole Stihl Catalogue. 

Maybe he can ask his Millionaire Daddy is he can store everything at his chain of Hotels? Or perhaps he can break into his £250,000 trust fund from rich relatives that supposedly disowned his father and his family and build a Warehouse for all this equipment he's to busy cleaning windows 7 days a week to use? 

15 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

I felt like a celebrity yesterday after one of my customers read the old version of my book. He said it was the best read in his life and wants me to sign it next month. Anyway, can't hang about as I have a full day on because the weather has held me back. Waiting for the Stihl BT 131 to arrive with all the bits because I have a few fence jobs to do. Will give a follow up when I use it, ta ta for now. 😘 

What’s it called?

I’m just over a year into my own setup,45% tree work 55% timber based landscaping
I always keep a good few k in the bank for materials on the build side, have invested most of the profit back into tools and stock (fasteners, brackets, sealants etc) to enable faster working and less downtime hiring stuff part way through a job.
plus obv a pickup and trailer.

I’ve covered my personal bills and the odd toy but not taken a proper wage yet.
Post April i am going to move to running more like a ltd company and pay myself a set wage and then dividends, with the knowledge i will need to go vat registered and limited by the middle of the year.
Will also be buying a new truck so going vat registered will mean a lovely rebate hopefully!
Then the old chestnut of do i make 2 companies,keep the tree side vat free and have the build side vat registered etc.

For tree only i would work out your running costs, setting a day rate for yourself, with profit on top.
Day rate is your wage each month, profit sits in the company for new kit or a bonus for yourself come the end of the year, but leaving enough to cover breakdowns, theft (could you keep running if you got broken into ie could you go buy 2 saws, basic climbing kit and hire a chipper?)