Whats your opinion on Tree Risk and Tree Topping?

JackArbAssociation

Tree Risk and The Topping Debate - FREE LIVE WEBINAR!
Wednesday 9 December, 6pm (UK)

With Jeremy Barrell (Barrell Tree Care, UK) - "Seeing beyond the topping blind spot."

And Andrew Koeser (University of Florida, USA) - "Can arborists accurately predict tree failure? Adding data to the debate on risk assessment."

Join us for this free live webinar which is sure to spark debate, featuring two top speakers both international arboriculture conference regulars.

Limited spaces so register here now: https://lnkd.in/dGqkYVj

Find out more here: https://lnkd.in/dEe3zFD 

AA-TreeRisk-Dec20-TW-LI-1024.thumb.jpg.766bd49402af25568acaa76e561300bb.jpg

will this be published post event? Be interesting to see the views on topping, in the context its given makes sense, will you discuss topping big trees for particular reason. After all tis the season to see trees post leaf revealing water sprouts and puny growth points 

Edited by mtt.tr
  • Like 1

Not in BS3998 2010 by my recall .  Or ISA  pruning recommendations .  Or Shigo and others ......Thought it was verboten unless yr one of the big Arb companies that make hundreds of thousands out of recutting hammered Planes and Limes instead of fell and replant or more sympathetic methods of management .... but thats just me . K

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Not in BS3998 2010 by my recall .  Or ISA  pruning recommendations .  Or Shigo and others ......Thought it was verboten unless yr one of the big Arb companies that make hundreds of thousands out of recutting hammered Planes and Limes instead of fell and replant or more sympathetic methods of management .... but thats just me . K

Seems very hit and miss with people, see so many heavy reductions on trees where in reality 4m of is just pointless plus the tree is at is natural max size. 

These toppings just create real long term issues, would rather see a fell replant and then properly maintained at an appropriate height ho hum. Maybe i just hate climbing over sized and poorly attached water sprouts 

• Like 1

Its a waste of time on Limes , three years later its the same - hanging over the road / highways signs or boundary line - decay in trunk or pollard heads has advanced - lost a years storage and increment through foliage loss, promotes root flare epicormic all over the paths , pissing money away . K 

24 minutes ago, Khriss said:

Its a waste of time on Limes , three years later its the same - hanging over the road / highways signs or boundary line - decay in trunk or pollard heads has advanced - lost a years storage and increment through foliage loss, promotes root flare epicormic all over the paths , pissing money away . K 

Yep i used to reduce parents lime previous Pollard every 5 years mornings work. 

Neighbors convinced it was causing subsidence insurers insisted it to be repollared with in a year bushy and overall taller than how i had maintained it.  

• Sad 1

I would also be interested, as you say topping seems to cause long term issues - on the other hand in a small garden that could mean retaining the tree for a few more years.

I've explained all the reasons it's a bad idea, sometimes people take it on board and sometimes they say "yes but it's blocking the satellite signal, cut it in half". What can you do? In the end it's not my tree.

On 04/12/2020 at 20:59, mtt.tr said:

will this be published post event? Be interesting to see the views on topping, in the context its given makes sense, will you discuss topping big trees for particular reason. After all tis the season to see trees post leaf revealing water sprouts and puny growth points 

Hi there,

Yes this video will be available on our youtube channel post event for a limited time.