Differing Moisture Content

Witterings

I thought I'd use the meter to check the moisture of a few logs, I found there was quite a lot of difference between those that had been inside even for just a couple of weeks from the same batch / chopped up at the same time compared to those that were still outside in a log store.

The inside ones I was getting reading's of between 5 and 7% on the ends and 10 / 12% in the middle ... the ones outside were 12 / 14% still on the ends ... is it normal the drop such a large moisture content when they've only been inside for such a relatively short period of time ... some of them are stacked next to the fire (at a safe distance) which may make a bit of difference and I rotate to use the ones that have been inside the longest 1st.

Also where should you take moisture readings from .... I'm guessing what's likely to be the wettest part i.e. the center rather than the ends??

Yes. It's humid and damp outside at the moment, so bringing them in to a dry house should make a reasonable difference. Especially if theyre near the fire.

You should split a log, then take moisture readings from the centre of the fresh split face. Can't remember if it's across or along the grain though.

• Like 2

The pin type meters we DIY types get only really measure surface moisture and yes that will change quickly when you move logs from a damp environment to a dry one.  I.e. outside in this weather to indoors.  However, as the measurement does not penetrate far it does not really tell you if the log is dry, hence as mentioned above if you want a better measurement of how dry firewood is then split a few samples and measure near the middle of the new split face.

I got stung a bit by that after a flood in our house soaked part of the concrete floor.  Meter said it was dry after a few months but a pro came in to measure it and showed that it was still damp.  When I moved a few things standing on it, it was clear he was right as there were damp patches under them.  Had to empty the room, return the dehumidifier and wait many more weeks :(

Cheers for he replies ... wish I'd taken a reading at the end of the summer before the rain, be intersting to see if it'd increased since then and if so by how much.

Also tends to say it's hard to get an accurate reading en mass as I split the logs down to the size I'd burn them before storing in essence making it an outside edge, from what you've both said I'd then need to then split those again and take the reading from one of the newly exposed faces to be accurate.

Miserable and tipping it down outside as I type this with a few days of this ahead I think which'll only make them damper still  ... glad I got a load in yesterday ?