Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Paul in the woods

Thread restorer (internal)

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, bmp01 said:

This might be totally inappropriate but I'll say it anyway .... could you live without the first few threads entirely? Machine a counter bore or Dremmel damaged threads away and survive on remaining good thread.

Sounds a bit rude, but consider that the damaged threads might not be taking any useful load anyway depending on the thread restore technique. 

 

That is/was my plan B. I'm worried why you thing it's inappropriate? (Or a bit rude!).

 

I thought I'd try clearing the thread first and if not then I'll ream the entrance.

 

I have found a sump bolt that's the right size. It may be small enough to be able to screw it through from the back. (There's two arms at the back with only a 28mm gap, so I can't drive a long bolt through. The is a bit of room that might mean a short bolt will fit).

 

If that's doesn't work then reaming or I'll take it to an engineer. (Yes, it's removable from the machine).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Stere said:

Money is  no object solution? ?

Doesn't look too expensive, but I'd need to spend a few hundred on a decent drill.

 

Thankfully the thread isn't that far gone. I've also seen some rethreading tools for £200 each which would be cheaper.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Doesn't look too expensive, but I'd need to spend a few hundred on a decent drill.

 

Thankfully the thread isn't that far gone. I've also seen some rethreading tools for £200 each which would be cheaper.

I bought a set of M30 taps for about £50! You only need one, probably £20.

Edited by doobin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here’s a trick for you mate. Open eBay, and type in what you want. Then filter the results to ‘buy it now’, ‘new’ and ‘uk only’, and order by ‘price inc p and p, lowest first’ 

 

then bookmark it. When you open the bookmark, just change the search to what you want and the filter parameters will stay the same. 

 

I’ve never paid more than the cheapest price on eBay for years now. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, openspaceman said:
WWW.TRACYTOOLS.COM

 

Many thanks. Did you google them or know the shop?

 

I assume the taper tap would be best? I need to clear/recut the first couple of threads, the rest seem to be ok. I assume/hope the end of the taper tap would follow some to the good threads?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

That is/was my plan B. I'm worried why you thing it's inappropriate? (Or a bit rude!).

 

I thought I'd try clearing the thread first and if not then I'll ream the entrance.

 

I have found a sump bolt that's the right size. It may be small enough to be able to screw it through from the back. (There's two arms at the back with only a 28mm gap, so I can't drive a long bolt through. The is a bit of room that might mean a short bolt will fit).

 

If that's doesn't work then reaming or I'll take it to an engineer. (Yes, it's removable from the machine).

Inappropriate only in the sense that I don't know the part so I can't judge if the suggestion is appropriate or not. And sounds rude - only because the general discussion is about restoring the thread and i suggested hacking it away, well sort of.

 

Just dont mention rude, reaming and entrance in the same breathe if you go to any engineering works though - gawd knows what might happen....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, doobin said:

I’ve never paid more than the cheapest price on eBay for years now. 

I've done that but the cheapest one in the UK seems to be £40. I was getting a bit fed up searching for taps as even searching for M30 x 1.5 the taps that turned up were M30 x 3.5.

 

Google was just as bad but it looks like many shops don't list stock in a way google can index. Hence my question. I don't know what sort of shops to look for.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.