Thread restorer (internal)

Paul in the woods

7 hours ago, bmp01 said:

This might be totally inappropriate but I'll say it anyway .... could you live without the first few threads entirely? Machine a counter bore or Dremmel damaged threads away and survive on remaining good thread.

Sounds a bit rude, but consider that the damaged threads might not be taking any useful load anyway depending on the thread restore technique. 

That is/was my plan B. I'm worried why you thing it's inappropriate? (Or a bit rude!).

I thought I'd try clearing the thread first and if not then I'll ream the entrance.

I have found a sump bolt that's the right size. It may be small enough to be able to screw it through from the back. (There's two arms at the back with only a 28mm gap, so I can't drive a long bolt through. The is a bit of room that might mean a short bolt will fit).

If that's doesn't work then reaming or I'll take it to an engineer. (Yes, it's removable from the machine).

27 minutes ago, Paul in the woods said:

Doesn't look too expensive, but I'd need to spend a few hundred on a decent drill.

Thankfully the thread isn't that far gone. I've also seen some rethreading tools for £200 each which would be cheaper.

I bought a set of M30 taps for about £50! You only need one, probably £20.

Edited by doobin

Here’s a trick for you mate. Open eBay, and type in what you want. Then filter the results to ‘buy it now’, ‘new’ and ‘uk only’, and order by ‘price inc p and p, lowest first’ 

then bookmark it. When you open the bookmark, just change the search to what you want and the filter parameters will stay the same. 

I’ve never paid more than the cheapest price on eBay for years now. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, openspaceman said:
WWW.TRACYTOOLS.COM

Many thanks. Did you google them or know the shop?

I assume the taper tap would be best? I need to clear/recut the first couple of threads, the rest seem to be ok. I assume/hope the end of the taper tap would follow some to the good threads?

2 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

That is/was my plan B. I'm worried why you thing it's inappropriate? (Or a bit rude!).

I thought I'd try clearing the thread first and if not then I'll ream the entrance.

I have found a sump bolt that's the right size. It may be small enough to be able to screw it through from the back. (There's two arms at the back with only a 28mm gap, so I can't drive a long bolt through. The is a bit of room that might mean a short bolt will fit).

If that's doesn't work then reaming or I'll take it to an engineer. (Yes, it's removable from the machine).

Inappropriate only in the sense that I don't know the part so I can't judge if the suggestion is appropriate or not. And sounds rude - only because the general discussion is about restoring the thread and i suggested hacking it away, well sort of.

Just dont mention rude, reaming and entrance in the same breathe if you go to any engineering works though - gawd knows what might happen....

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, doobin said:

I’ve never paid more than the cheapest price on eBay for years now. 

I've done that but the cheapest one in the UK seems to be £40. I was getting a bit fed up searching for taps as even searching for M30 x 1.5 the taps that turned up were M30 x 3.5.

Google was just as bad but it looks like many shops don't list stock in a way google can index. Hence my question. I don't know what sort of shops to look for.