Electric chainsaw

renewablejohn

4 minutes ago, AHPP said:

Someone said much earlier in the thread that they use a 220 for stuff up to 4” when climbing. I don’t start getting frustrated until nearly double that with a 120. A 220 will monster through bar length and bigger.

I agree, I have the 220 with the longer bar option.

Once you get used to using chain speed & not letting it chug to cut it will munch through some big bits. Chain needs to be spot on sharp too.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Justme said:

I agree, I have the 220 with the longer bar option.

Once you get used to using chain speed & not letting it chug to cut it will munch through some big bits. Chain needs to be spot on sharp too.

I imagine that is the case, if you have the time/patience. Having a full chisel chain makes a big difference IMO.

In terms of getting the job done up in the tree, MS160T good for pruning and early stage of dismantles, but once into 10 - 12 inch timber I use the 201T, having used the 160T or Echo 2511T earlier in the job.

I’ve never sharpened a picco chain, any tips ? Other than make sure I’ve got my glasses on and a good light.

Yeah.
Buy 4 chains.
Blunt them.
Take em back to your dealer who will sharpen them for peanuts.
I’m a bit ocd about sharpening chains,
But if I’m honest I hate sharpening tiny chains.
Fiddly......
[emoji106]

1 hour ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yeah.
Buy 4 chains.
Blunt them.
Take em back to your dealer who will sharpen them for peanuts.
I’m a bit ocd about sharpening chains,
But if I’m honest I hate sharpening tiny chains.
Fiddly......
emoji106.png

Ordered some files and a file holder, I'll see how i get on, but think your tactic might be the way forward !!

I'm very OCD about sharpening and keeping my tools clean. the little 120 is easy peasy to keep clean.

• Like 1

On 20/12/2020 at 20:44, Silverhooker said:

I’ve never sharpened a picco chain, any tips ? Other than make sure I’ve got my glasses on and a good light.

Hi, I use these diamond files for the 1/4" PM3 chain, you can obviously use them just as files but I cut them down taking off the point and just leave enough shank to fit in the dremel...makes it real quick and easy, you need to go at a slow speed or they'll start to burl and lube with a little water....you'll still need your glasses but it takes the pain out of the task.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Diamond Grit: 150; File Type: Round. These needle files can satisfy your different needs. Widely used for art craft or...

You do get different grits if you search around and you do need to be careful not to remove too much.

I haven't had to do this for some time since I converted my MSA200 to the 220 spec....different class altogether 👍

• Like 1