Electric chainsaw

renewablejohn

18 hours ago, Unframed Dave said:

The 300s is 7.8ah vs the 5.0ah battery. Logically it would do about 50% more work. 

Unless the 5ah was at a higher voltage as well.

The better term to use is watt hour as that combines the ah & the volts.

On 18/01/2021 at 16:02, Justme said:

Unless the 5ah was at a higher voltage as well.

The better term to use is watt hour as that combines the ah & the volts.

Manufacturers are moving to higher voltages on many tools. The reason behind this is to lower the current draw for a given power requirement. If two tools had batteries of equivalent watt hours, eg a 12v with a 5Ah battery, and a 30v with a 2Ah battery, and they both had a 60 watt motor, the 2Ah battery should last longer. That's a very simplistic explanation, but just cos a battery has a bigger Amp Hour rating, doesn't necessarily mean a longer runtime than a smaller higher voltage one, as Justme quite rightly says. That's why Makita for one are doubling up batteries on many high power tools. Don't forget though, that two 18volt  5Ah batteries in series ( to give 36v ) are only in effect one 5Ah battery. Also, very importantly, don't mix different sizes of battery, for best results they need to be as near identical as possible, eg both 5Ah, not a six and a three, and they ought to be of similar age and condition. Sorry if I haven't explained it clearly. 

Edited by Peter 1955
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Virtually all electronic devices from power tools to laptops to Nissan LEAFs to scooters to E-Cigs to Chainsaws use one battery. The ubiquitous 18650 lithium cell. A 3.7 volt battery. They simply use them in different types of configurations.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just to report back, had a battery saw for a wee bit now and it has exceeded my expectations. Sthil 120.
Great for stop start jobs, easy to clean and reliable so far.

Not a replacement for a petrol saw, but it is a welcome addition to the saw range. I’ve cleared a big patch of rhododendron and cleared some crappy birch from a really steep site and it did it with no issues. Would be great as the chipper saw.

Just wish I’d bought a few more chains when I bought it as sharpening picco is pants !

The future is bright for battery saws if they can just reduce the battery replacement cost.

• Like 1

I had a quick fondle of the Echo DCS-2500t in my local dealer today, nice and light and looks a well put together machine. Quieter than my cordless hedge trimmer too, I'd feel much better about grabbing it to rip up a bit of firewood out front of an evening, with a petrol saw I'm always half expecting an irate neighbour to pop out! Think it'll be a serious contender for next top handle as the shop is 5 minutes from my door 🤔

3 hours ago, Darkslider said:

Quieter than my cordless hedge trimmer too, I'd feel much better about grabbing it to rip up a bit of firewood out front of an evening, with a petrol saw I'm always half expecting an irate neighbour to pop out!

This is the top benefit of them for me, nice and quiet. Smell of the chain oil is a major downer though, at least with a petrol saw it is masked by all the fumes. :D

• Like 1