Electric chainsaw

renewablejohn

On 10/01/2021 at 08:07, Unframed Dave said:

After unpacking the 14" saw, I was a little bit dubious. This however was unfounded. Coupled with a 5 ah battery, this is a perfectly balanced, light and highly ferocious little machine. I started with a bit of limbing and tidying of the general area we were working. Followed thus with removing a hung oak of around 10" average diameter. Absolutely no problem and truly amazed at how much work achieved with a single battery. I then started on a fallen spruce which was partially rotted. The original battery still went strong and eventually died with most of the tree logged. The first photo shows the amount of oak logged and the second how far along the spruce I got before the first battery ran out. 

To say I'm impressed is an understatement. 

IMG_20210109_123350.jpg

IMG_20210109_125022.jpg

For comparison this is what one battery on the msa220 does.

IMG_20200414_173743.jpg

Both that ego plus & stihl  batteries are rated 280wah.

So surprising they both would not do about the same number of cuts?

Ego isn't made by oregon btw there a chinese group

GLOBAL.CHERVONGROUP.COM

Oregon cordless stuff dunno who they sub contract to make it...

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

1 hour ago, Stere said:

Both that ego plus & stihl  batteries are rated 280wah.

So surprising they both would not do about the same number of cuts?

Ego isn't made by oregon btw there a chinese group

GLOBAL.CHERVONGROUP.COM

Oregon cordless stuff dunno who they sub contract to make it...

EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

The 300s is 7.8ah vs the 5.0ah battery. Logically it would do about 50% more work. 

The 300s is 7.8ah vs the 5.0ah battery. Logically it would do about 50% more work. 

But the stihl is 36v ego 56v

same capacity:

7.8 * 36 = 280

5.0 * 56 =280

& see below on specs

EGOPOWERPLUS.CO.UK

Depending on the product, on a single charge, you can mow up to 800sqm, line trim up to 140 minutes, hedge trim up to 150...

M.STIHL.CO.UK

The AP 300 S is a high capacity battery that will power any tool within the STIHL AP System. With an energy capacity of 281...

• Like 1

I'm not electrically minded enough to comment. I count roughly 36 cuts through fair sized wood in my first two photos and commented previously on tidying up. This is some of the tidying up on the same battery. Doesn't make for a very interesting shot so didn't include it originally. 

I would be very keen to do a side by side comparison between the two machines though. 

IMG_20210109_125037.jpg

49 minutes ago, Scottish Cleaning Service said:

It must be just the same as the stihl with the backpack battery connection. I found the 3kw backpack quite heavy at near 10kgs but it will give you a day's work. 👍

They do 3 backpacks, a professional 28ah, and two for domestic, 23ah and the one I was using yesterday which will take any of the "detachable" batteries. 

To be honest, it isn't worth using with the 5ah (it's very light),  but is great with the 10ah. You know it's there but doesn't weigh you down massively. 

I also have the 23ah, which like you I find heavy. Great for a long job though without too much moving around. I think it will really come into it's own for hedge cutting and major brush cutting jobs. 

• Like 1

I have a MS160T and more recently a MSA220. The 220 really is excellent, a lot more cutting ability than the 160T. I have felled a 9-10. inch Ash with it, you just have to feed it through patiently, rather than push it in like with the MS261 or bigger. Mainly bought the MSA220 for our early morning starts in residential areas, but we all love it and it is excellent for a quick cut into something too big for the chipper, saves using a petrol saw that isn't going to reach operating temperature on intermittent use.
Operating temperature, yup that doesn't Always get considered