Electric chainsaw

renewablejohn

2 hours ago, AHPP said:

Sharpening 1/4 picco is probably going to be the thing that finally pushes me to get a fixed grinder.

Aye, cordless Dremel's the way to go, takes no time to give the chain a quick touch if it dulls when you're out working.. trying to use an 1/8" file is a total pain in the arse.

I didn't like the wee chain anyway, good enough for garden pruning up to a couple of inches but just too fickle with not enough clearance in the kerf for much else and a touch too soft so easy blunted ... just my opinion of course.

The Stihl msa with a 3/8 chain is a different animal altogether👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Silverhooker said:

The file just bent at the junction with the wooden handle, i bought the Stihl file plate guide and hold both ends when i file, and it still bent.

Maybe you got a duff one? I've filed with them a couple times and found you have to be so gentle and so easy on them because they flex like mad.

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/12/2020 at 13:48, Macpherson said:

Aye, cordless Dremel's the way to go, takes no time to give the chain a quick touch if it dulls when you're out working.. trying to use an 1/8" file is a total pain in the arse.

I have to say, I'm genuinely not sure what I'll do with all the free time I've gained since trying this out. Good stuff. 

• Like 1

Any reviews on the Makita DUC305Z? Looking at a 12” battery option ([emoji15]) and already running Makita tools.
VMT Craig
I've got one. Very useful. Never used a top brand battery saw too compare to. I don't fell really. Only mill and make. But for light firewood, oak framing, fencing, demolition and in the workshop is all I use.

New to the forum this morning, so be gentle. 

Not seen any mention of the Ego brand. I have no commercial connection, just a hobby woods keeper with an awful lot of firewood to process after this year's storms. I also damaged both shoulders hand splitting logs during the first lockdown and find pull starting 2 strokes an absolute pain now. 

I started off with their 18" saw and a 5ah battery. As soon as I'd cut through a 20" laying stump with little more effort than my petrol stihls, I was sold. 

The 5ah battery has since been upgraded to a few 10s and even a 23ah backpack. The 5 is still useful, say in the garden or on their strimmer, but the 10s are incredibly useful in the woods. 

I have also only just bought the 14" saw for limbing and smaller work. Firsts impressions are that it's not the animal the 18" is, but cutting will be the real trial. I wanted lighter than the 18, so lighter it is, the proof will be in the using. 

Anyway, it literally is off to the woods. I'll pop in and report back on the 14" saw later. 

• Like 1

After unpacking the 14" saw, I was a little bit dubious. This however was unfounded. Coupled with a 5 ah battery, this is a perfectly balanced, light and highly ferocious little machine. I started with a bit of limbing and tidying of the general area we were working. Followed thus with removing a hung oak of around 10" average diameter. Absolutely no problem and truly amazed at how much work achieved with a single battery. I then started on a fallen spruce which was partially rotted. The original battery still went strong and eventually died with most of the tree logged. The first photo shows the amount of oak logged and the second how far along the spruce I got before the first battery ran out. 

To say I'm impressed is an understatement. 

IMG_20210109_123350.jpg

IMG_20210109_125022.jpg

• Like 2