Electric chainsaw

renewablejohn

Okay dont laugh. If you dont try the equipment you never know if its any good. Anyway just bought an Oregon CS 1500 mains electric chainsaw for use in the yard. Has anyone experience of the saw and its ability to sharpen itself. Not impressed with the cheap chain  it comes with so was wondering whether I could use my existing bar and chains off my Husky.

Edited by renewablejohn
dupli word

No idea about anything self sharpening, but I have an old Makita corded, which has been magnificent. No other word for it. After years of hard work, other than the inevitable chains and sprocket replacement, it's still doing its job. If and when it gets replaced, it will be a similar model. 

As far as I'm concerned, if you're within easy reach of 240v, electric beats petrol every time, as long as you're cutting diameters below say 15"

Edited by Peter 1955
  • Like 1

Have the makita  version  also just fitted new carbon brushes my second pair i think. Also fitted a new sprocket so its done alot.

Oregon manual says cs 1500 is  A041 mount 3/8 low pro 0.50"

Seems is what echo  saws use so bar an chain options:

WWW.CHAINSAWBARS.CO.UK

[ECHO1] BL1M-0L40-A Sugihara Pro Lam 16"[40cm] 3/8 Lo Pro .050 58 drive links

image.thumb.png.393c9ec29ad093de9819cdc8700c85d8.png

Edited by Stere

8 minutes ago, headgroundsman said:

You can only use their chain with self sharpening saws

I'm sure the self-sharpening mechanism can be removed, then just fit a standard chain and sharpen with a file.

Apparently the standard chain is ⅜" .050 62DL. Don't see a need to change the bar, only the chain.

Might of been a bit harsh on the cheap chain as it cuts really well  but sure it will not last as long as the standard chain I have on my husky. Was thinking more of changing complete bar and chain as I have the hedge trimmer attachment on spare bar which I think would work really well on this electric saw.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm also in the market for a wee corded saw to use near the house, all my others are Husky (440, 550 &365). So looking more at one of them but the little stihl is a good bit cheaper and to be honest it won't get too much hard work.  Can't justify the cost of a battery set up yet but who knows in the future ? Any opinions welcomed .