Felling trees for personal use

Marcus 3000

I was passing the time of day with a young FC ranger and he was telling me that he’s been instructed to take that sort of thing very seriously when he comes across it.
Even going in the forest to collect sticks and twigs for kindling is within his jurisdiction to start proceedings for repeat offenders, let alone felling trees.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, oldwoodcutter said:

I was passing the time of day with a young FC ranger and he was telling me that he’s been instructed to take that sort of thing very seriously when he comes across it.
Even going in the forest to collect sticks and twigs for kindling is within his jurisdiction to start proceedings for repeat offenders, let alone felling trees.

Just bypass all this nonsense and see if anybody has got any free money they don't want .

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

52 minutes ago, scbk said:

The simple answer is to buy your own woodland :w00t:

Or better yet, buy land and plant trees on it and wait for them to grow :drunk:

Dont be ridiculous. What if you planted trees that just stayed small or couldnt find big trees to plant.   You would just have wasted yr time there.  K

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Simple answer is NO as others have said above, theft and criminal damage, We had a guy who used to take his dog for a walk every morning on a site we was working on and left every day with a boot full of wood until he was caught red handed by the powers that be, the site was some infected larch that he was taking and was caught on camera several times then was  confronted by the forest manager, this went to court for theft and the distribution of deceased timber it cost the guy £550 plus costs probably the most expensive timber he has ever bought,

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just had someone "help themselves", (steal), to 5 trailer loads of split dry stacked logs from my yard ! Just climbed the gate and helped themselves the bast**ds, about 5 cube of larch, hope they put it on an open fire and it sparks and burns the house down !

Phoned the police who weren't interested, would have got a better response from the boy scouts!

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

20 minutes ago, Silverhooker said:

Just had someone "help themselves", (steal), to 5 trailer loads of split dry stacked logs from my yard ! Just climbed the gate and helped themselves the bast**ds, about 5 cube of larch, hope they put it on an open fire and it sparks and burns the house down !

Phoned the police who weren't interested, would have got a better response from the boy scouts!

I have had this several times over the years, bought some of them wildlife cameras and put them up, caught the guy with in a week who works next door, when i asked him if he had owt to tell me, he said know so i asked him when he was going to pay for the logs he had taken, what logs ! saked him if he wanted to watch the video, got payment of him, and before anyone says have you got warning signs up No i havent but the cameras where installed to moniter the rat/vermin population in the building and it was just his bad luck he got caught,

• Like 1

3 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

and before anyone says have you got warning signs up

AFAIK you don't need warning signs. You can film public areas (I have them outside of the house on the main road) without asking permission and what you do on your private land is up to you. They only act as an additional deterrent.

You *should* have signs if you are recording people in a shop or a publicly accessible building/area.

I've used footage from my CCTV recording a public area to ask for an apology (Changed at @AHPP's request as he get's upset if you use the word persecuted) from the police at the start of lockdown when I saw a car crash outside and a police officer pulled their baton out and started walking towards me aggressively because I went out to check on my vehicle/check if they were okay. Apparently he was arresting a dangerous criminal that he rammed off the road (I couldn't see it was a police car) and thought I was a friend of said criminal that was about to fight the police off. That story didn't really hold up when I had video showing me stood 15ft away acting in a completely non-aggressive manor with a first aid kit in my hand. The worst bit was I was walking away back into the house when he pulled his baton and chased me up the road. They had nothing to say about the CCTV though. 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

I've used footage from my CCTV recording a public area to persecute the police at the start of lockdown when I saw a car crash outside and a police officer pulled their baton out and started walking towards me aggressively because I went out to check on my vehicle/check if they were okay. Apparently he was arresting a dangerous criminal that he rammed off the road (I couldn't see it was a police car) and thought I was a friend of said criminal that was about to fight the police off. That story didn't really hold up when I had video showing me stood 15ft away acting in a completely non-aggressive manor with a first aid kit in my hand. The worst bit was I was walking away back into the house when he pulled his baton and chased me up the road. They had nothing to say about the CCTV though. 

Interesting. What was the action and how did it go?