Video - Access a Tree Using a Rope and Harness - Two Rope System

John Hancock

Good morning, 

I realise the subject has been done to death and has been much debated in the past but this video has been sat in my Youtube account not going anywhere so I thought I'd share it. 

Access a Tree Using a Rope and Harness - Two Rope System - We decided to make a series of videos as a learning resource for our students (mainly the new ones), starting with the basics, preparing them for assessment. Interestingly, when teaching and instructing new students, they really don't have a problem with using the two-rope system, they feel more secure and it aids better positioning throughout the tree. 

The next video will be: Installing a cambium-saver from the ground  and undergoing aerial rescue in an open-grown tree. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

John, thank you for sharing, that was an excellent video, the close up and context shots worked so well.

As a matter of interest, and this is a learning point for me (and maybe others), I note the methodology employed a strop, i.e. a 3rd point of connection, at change-overs...is this a C&G assessment requirement?

Also, and I know this will probably never "catch-on", but when you refer to "load bearing anchors" the term now used (because IRATA use it and HSE liked/expected it) is "unquestionably reliable" :/ (semantics) 

Thanks again, I haven't climbed for many years but that video inspired me to consider it ;) ...maybe because of the weather.

Regards,

Paul

Well done John, that was probably the most efficient demonstration of 2 rope climbing to the new guidelines.  

I can't help but feel sorry for you guys as lecturers and the students having to conform to these regs.  

Good video, albeit of IMO a clumsy and inefficient way to climb a tree.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

John, thank you for sharing, that was an excellent video, the close up and context shots worked so well.

As a matter of interest, and this is a learning point for me (and maybe others), I note the methodology employed a strop, i.e. a 3rd point of connection, at change-overs...is this a C&G assessment requirement?

Also, and I know this will probably never "catch-on", but when you refer to "load bearing anchors" the term now used (because IRATA use it and HSE liked/expected it) is "unquestionably reliable" :/ (semantics) 

Thanks again, I haven't climbed for many years but that video inspired me to consider it ;) ...maybe because of the weather.

Regards,

Paul

Hi Paul, 

Thanks for your feedback :-)

C&G are due to update their assessors imminently (they may already have - it takes a while for information to filter through to the colleges). Once the update is received then modifications can be made. From a teaching / instructing point of view, it's no bad thing to have two attachment points in the tree while undertaking a changeover, particularly with new students.  

'unquestionably reliable'.....bit of a mouthful isn't it! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rich Rule said:

Well done John, that was probably the most efficient demonstration of 2 rope climbing to the new guidelines.  

I can't help but feel sorry for you guys as lecturers and the students having to conform to these regs.  

Good video, albeit of IMO a clumsy and inefficient way to climb a tree.

Cheers Rich, 

All credit to Ben Andrews for being an excellent instructor, I just stuck the GoPro on his head, wired him up with the microphone and off he went....and a little editing of course ;-)   

• Like 1

That was a very smooth demonstration, what i do not understand is why we are not using techniques that IRATA have been working on for a good number of years. Personally i would rather use my duck on a back line in the same way i would when abseiling

WWW.UPANDUNDER.CO.UK

The S.Tec Duck-R is a back-up device in the style of the Petzl Shunt but in this case it works only on one rope and has been certified for use in work at height scenarios rather than as...

Will this be deemed acceptable?