Log cabin as a retirement dwelling?

difflock

We built this in 2000.  Wooden ways did a full scribe log cabin course on the farm here using poplar that had been planted by my father in 1960 for the match industry.  The millennium came and fewer folk smoked and those that did used butane so there were a lot of poplars looknig for a home. 

I had heard from somebody living in Oregon that the ultimate cabin there was made from poplar and that there was a Church built of it that was 120 years old.  Dan Franklin and his team came and I think were pleased to work with poplar for a change and the result is a 25 foot by 15 foot cabin that you see in his cabin photos one and three by the lake with the swans.

It is really only a place we go to enjoy the lake with friends over a beer or two but I highly recommend Dan and his skill.

If you have a good source of timber locally all the better but I would hope that there is plenty around in your part of the world.

The cabin is now twenty years old and because it sits on six great lumps of sandstone and therefore is away from moisture and has plenty of air underneath, there is no sign of rot.

My wife and I have stayed in a fully developed cabin in Washington State and you have to be aware that sound travels along the wood, so be careful what you say or do!  But a lovely feeling. especially for those who have worked with wood for a living.

WWW.WOODENWAYS.COM

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s 7.5m wide by 22m long. Largest size the can come under mobile home planning if you need to make life easier with the planners. We’ve got two double bedrooms and two bathrooms. The one we went to look at before agreeing to the build had 4 bedrooms, 1 very large double and three single and they were still a pretty good size. 

• Thanks 1