Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
jcampbellsmith

Removing the roots of a beech hedge

Question

The boss in her infinite wisdom chopped down her beech hedge leaving 100 - 150 stumps that are up to 5 inches in diameter, Most are in the 2-4 inch range. What stump grinder would you recommend to deal with these? Or is it a job for a professional?

Thanks

JCS

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recommended Posts

  • 0
50 minutes ago, jcampbellsmith said:

The boss in her infinite wisdom chopped down her beech hedge leaving 100 - 150 stumps that are up to 5 inches in diameter, Most are in the 2-4 inch range. What stump grinder would you recommend to deal with these? Or is it a job for a professional?

Thanks

JCS

By the time you've hired a grinder, with probably worn teeth,  collected it, took it back to the shop, you may as well get someone in. It's a straightforward , easy job, does'nt  take that long to grind them out. If you offer to tidy up afterwards it will be cheaper, just get the operator to quote for the actual grinding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
3 hours ago, jcampbellsmith said:

It will become lawn again. 

Thanks

JCS

Might be best to get a bloke with a digger to pull the stumps out. Won’t take long, however you then have to get rid of them. But will let you establish grass much more easily. Grinding mixes up grindings and soil and grass doesn’t like to grow in it so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
13 minutes ago, doobin said:

Might be best to get a bloke with a digger to pull the stumps out. Won’t take long, however you then have to get rid of them. But will let you establish grass much more easily. Grinding mixes up grindings and soil and grass doesn’t like to grow in it so well. 

The size of the stumps won't leave that much mess, hardly any in fact. Mixed in with the soil, leveled off, re seeded, easy job. You haven't got the mess of using a digger and the clean up afterwards.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
6 hours ago, David Cropper said:

By the time you've hired a grinder, with probably worn teeth,  collected it, took it back to the shop, you may as well get someone in. It's a straightforward , easy job, does'nt  take that long to grind them out. If you offer to tidy up afterwards it will be cheaper, just get the operator to quote for the actual grinding.

Agreed but if they where mine I'd hook them out with the grapple loader so it comes down to price and who is local. 150 5" beech stumps is a bit much for a Hi lift ?. At 2 minutes a stump that's 5 hours without a break for a grinder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
12 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Agreed but if they where mine I'd hook them out with the grapple loader so it comes down to price and who is local. 150 5" beech stumps is a bit much for a Hi lift ?. At 2 minutes a stump that's 5 hours without a break for a grinder

He says that most are in the 2 to 4 inch range. Head down, crack on and finish the job in a day, easily done. I don't stop mid morning, carry on often till after lunch, it's a case of thinking of other things, mind in neutral, batter on till you feel the need to stop. I'd rather get on with it and get home. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

  • Tip site reviews

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.