Jerry cans at the pump

Husky575xp

3 minutes ago, peatff said:

It's the opposite way round at our local petrol station.

Maybe I got it the wrong way around? There doesn't seem to be a hard and fast rule. Just a tonne of shady rules about what is approved and what isn't! HSE states "suitable petrol containers" so no lunch boxes or empty bottles of white lightning I suppose? ?

• Haha 1

Seems petrol stations have their own rules dependant on their own risk assessments.

There are also a load of regs about storage at home and workplace.
Who's going to check until after an event when suddenly your insurance is invalid....eye opener?

This too is quite a good read.

WWW.JERRYCANS.CO.UK

Here you will find the answers for the following common questions : • How much fuel can I store in my vehicle or...

Edited by Bob_z_l
  • Like 3

Flammable liquid sticker on truck also. I have... BEES IN TRANSIT, I LOVE SHARKS, Flammable liquid, Compressed gas, Fuel gas, Help for Heroes, Poppy, National Trust, Arb Association, Bat Conservation Trust, Woodland Trust, Commoners Association...... Still got pulled    ☹️   K

( couldnt see out the rear windscreen  ?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, peatff said:

It's the opposite way round at our local petrol station.

It's not your local petrol station. It's what government stipulate.

10l max in plastic can. 20l max in metal can.

20l plastic cans are illegal for petrol - even the fuel cans which are moulded to look like Jerry cans and are sold as such. These are only legal for Diesel.

30l max can be stored at a private home before you need a licence (then you can store upto 275l).

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Steven P said:

Thinking about this, construction sites have fuel tank for things like generators, no need to bury them in concrete. They will need a bund and so on, not sure about filling them though, much like Donnk pictured

I looked into it and it's a big no-no filling up at a petrol station with one of these, I was hoping to get a tow behind fuel cube which is fine for diesel not petrol. After speaking to a company about delivery of fuel they weren't interested unless i was certified, also the lorry can only gravity feed out the petrol as risk of explosion apparently if they pump it out ?. We have a knackered old V8 range rover on the place so was thinking to fuel it up and just drain the tank into jerrys back at the farm

• Like 1

An oppo of mine ran out of petrol on his motorbike just a couple of miles from a garage, and another couple of miles from home. This was in the 60s when 4 stroke jap bikes had just appeared and he had one.

Pushing his big bike up a couple of hills was out of the question so he tucked it behind a farmers hedge and walked .

When he got to the garage he realised he’d left his wallet at home, but he did have some loose change in his pocket.

Then came the problem of what to put it in, but being young and enterprising, as we all were once, he dug out a Johnny from his inside pocket and put some in that, tied a knot in the usual way, placed it by the pump and went in and paid.

I remember he said he ran back, on and off, as he had an idea the petrol may melt it before he could get it to his tank.

He came to grief on it a year or so later I can’t remember exactly, and that was that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, Khriss said:

Flammable liquid sticker on truck also. I have... BEES IN TRANSIT, I LOVE SHARKS, Flammable liquid, Compressed gas, Fuel gas, Help for Heroes, Poppy, National Trust, Arb Association, Bat Conservation Trust, Woodland Trust, Commoners Association...... Still got pulled    ☹️   K

( couldnt see out the rear windscreen  ?

You really shouldn't have compressed flammable bees in transit, that's very dangerous.

• Haha 2