Jerry cans at the pump

Husky575xp

This may have been covered before but I like to know what everyone is up to. Been getting away with filling 4 X 20lt plastic cans at the pump till recently, stopped at Tesco's months before as they weren't having it, now current station says I can only fill 20lts into metal can. Working on an estate here and when season is in full swing, quad/mowers/saw/leaf blower/strimmers gone through 20lt in less than a day no problem. Enquired about actual petrol delivery, non starter, tank has to be underground concreted in and inspection every 3 year's and 500lt min delivery.

Aspen would be fine for saws etc not quads and mowers.....what does everyone else do?

This may have been covered before but I like to know what everyone is up to. Been getting away with filling 4 X 20lt plastic cans at the pump till recently, stopped at Tesco's months before as they weren't having it, now current station says I can only fill 20lts into metal can. Working on an estate here and when season is in full swing, quad/mowers/saw/leaf blower/strimmers gone through 20lt in less than a day no problem. Enquired about actual petrol delivery, non starter, tank has to be underground concreted in and inspection every 3 year's and 500lt min delivery.
Aspen would be fine for saws etc not quads and mowers.....what does everyone else do?
Fill up at the local shell station and fill 4 to 6 Jerry cans at a time (metal) don't go to supermarkets as they have to stick by the rules.

I line up the cans in my boot so they can't see and fill them like that. My record so far has been 6, 20lt steel cans but that was diesel. Along with a full tank it was an expensive trip. They get really funny about it now. You can only have petrol in 10L metal or 20L plastic. You can only store 30L of fuel at home. How are you meant to run 2 ride on mowers, a dumper, a polaris and all the other tools off 30L?! 

• Like 2

Just now, CallumA said:
8 minutes ago, Husky575xp said:

Read more  

Fill up at the local shell station and fill 4 to 6 Jerry cans at a time (metal) don't go to supermarkets as they have to stick by the rules.

Aye Callum cheers yeah I've been using gulf station which up till now has been fine, but they reckon my limit is 20lts from now on in metal Jerry's

Unfortunately Fuel has to be in fuel rated containers, if there was a problem  on the forecourt then the station would be liable. and yes they were getting funny about the amounts people can have, it was about a yr ago.  

the only thing I can say, go in and get what they will allow, then drive off and ave a coffee or whatever, then pop back in and fill the rest up.

or go in with your mate and do it as two separate paying customers. 

one other thing, if they have a card payment at the pump, there’s not a lot they can do, and hopefully it’s in a corner where they can’t see very well.?

• Like 2

To be fair, I’ve been on the other side of this when working in a petrol station - one with no electronic / remote activation and deactivation of pumps.

It is over 25 years ago but I can still picture in my mind the little old Doris from up the road in the village, toddle up to the pump and start dispensing four star into a plastic milk bottle and me standing at the till inside wondering if the plastic was just going to melt and dump a couple of litres of highly flammable fuel all over her legs!! Luckily it didn’t but it left a vivid mental picture!

Unfortunately, in some cases we have regulations as a result of idiots and therefore they have to try and deal with the resulting level of risk.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Aye Callum cheers yeah I've been using gulf station which up till now has been fine, but they reckon my limit is 20lts from now on in metal Jerry's
Just go in and speak to them and explain. I did this at my local garage as the pump kicks out at £100 so I hang up the nozzle after 4 cans (80lts) and then start again to fill the other two. They are quite understanding and realised that I could make 6 trips or just let me get 120 lts all at once
  • Like 1