Getting started in Forestry contracting with Excavator

huwey

Hi there my name is Huw and I am new to the forum. Around 6 months ago I purchased my first machine a second-hand 14 ton Volvo excavator with a full set of buckets & TMK tree shear. I had the idea of doing mostly agricultural contracting with it, but unexpectedly to me my main line of work has been forestry work. Mostly tree shearing, pulling stumps, scrub & ground clearance stuff like that. I much prefer the forestry work as it seems more rewarding and you don't have to deal with farmers who don't pay & want it done yesterday. Is there any tips from people on this forum who are running the same sort of outfit on what kit to invest in? where to go next? What insurance’s/qualifications or tickets are a must have? I am only 22 and still working a full time job on a green waste recycling site (running Jenz & Doppstadt shredders & screeners) and I am fitting most of my work in over long weekends but with the idea to fully go on my own one day. Basically I'm just a young lad looking to better myself so any (good) opinions would be appreciated. 

Edited by huwey
  • Like 1

We've only got an 8tonner for smaller jobs but I would say if you haven't already got a tilting hitch or similar it will give you a lot more maneuverability on branches and save twisting the tree shear long term.

A grab for stacking is the obvious other thing and possibly a mulcher if you have the work for it.

• Like 1

A lot might depend on ur location, wot work is available and if a few big companies have the work sown up. 

No point in competeing with them if u can help it, better to find a niche if u can

Gdhs suggestions are a good shout.

In Scotland crying out for ground prep machines, mounding and ploughing, dunno how it is elsewhere.. But bloody boring work

But with all these targets for new forestry it must be needed.

If u get into proper forestry work many have there machines forestry guarded, stronger belly plates, raised, cab protection esp if using a tree sheer u really should have FOPS, possibly marguard the window if using a mulcher

I think ticket wise it gets really confusing with ur citb and noprs? for ur standard building site work but u then need FMOC tickets for forestry

It might be worth u switching jobs and getting a FT job with a digger company doing the this type of work., 

U'll learn wot u like and also how long jobs take, u could easy get into trouble pricing jobs when u don't have the experience, no good working for nowt.

• Like 1

Probably should of said I am based near Bristol/Bath. Not a far cry from South Wales either. I have previous experience on 360’s having worked for a large plant hire company also gaining my 360 ticket (but that’s more for construction). Lots of national trust/forestry commission ground around me and a few large estates with forestry operations. Thanks for the advice so far though I do appreciate it!