Best treatment for a serving board

Johnsond

Hi all, Any recommendations on what’s the best treatment to put on a timber serving platter. Options are Oak, Beech or elm at the moment and possibly Maple 

There is the oil you get at IKEA they sell for oiling their chopping boards. It’s fairly cheap. It’s a white mineral oil I believe?

I’d avoid oils like Olive and sunflower as they (supposedly ) go rancid.

I’d use Danish Oil (again! ?) there is an even more food safe version just for this.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Great prices on your favourite Home brands, and free delivery on eligible orders.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Johnsond said:

Hi all, Any recommendations on what’s the best treatment to put on a timber serving platter. Options are Oak, Beech or elm at the moment and possibly Maple 

Coconut oil is an option - easily available in supermarket in solid form and heat a little to make it liquid to apply.  And of course it is a food so is edible, but unlike veg oil will not go rancid.

• Like 1

White (food safe) mineral oil seems to be preferred by by some of the bigger (more expensive!) online sellers, it has no taste or smell and doesn't stay feeling oily.  I've been doing a load recently and have just found a reasonably cheap source on Amazon I think. I'm finishing off with a "board butter" made from mineral oil and beeswax, which has helped give an even better colour to the grain and buffs up nicely. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Squaredy said:

Coconut oil is an option - easily available in supermarket in solid form and heat a little to make it liquid to apply.  And of course it is a food so is edible, but unlike veg oil will not go rancid.

This sort of thing?  https://www.sainsburys.co.uk/gol-ui/product/coconut-oil/sainsburys-organic-virgin-coconut-oil-330ml  Heat, melt and rub in with a piece of kitchen paper?

31 minutes ago, TuscanPhil said:

Do you have a link for that please?  The Amazon link in your post doesn't take me to anything

The magic of arbtalk did that link on its own!

This is the stuff I've been using:

And just found this 5l bottle for not a ridiculous amount:

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

LincsProducts 5 LITRES WHITE MINERAL OIL PHARMACEUTICAL...

• Like 1

I used this stuff recently on a chopping board. It did the job very well, and reasonably priced.

WWW.EBAY.CO.UK

Pure Mineral Oil – Food Safe. The high quality Pure Mineral Oil penetrates into the wood, providing protection and revitalizes the wood’s natural colour and character. It will also prolong the life of the wood.