560xp not starting, spark OK

mirecc

2 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

Just had a non start prob with a Husky and on about the third strip down I noticed some small water globules on the pump diaphragm, so changed the carb (Lots of spares, long time chainsaw user) thoroughly cleaned the tank and off she went. By the way I could not find any water present in the fuel in the tank. 

Condensate collection over time, big drops wont go thru filter cos surface tension. Big issue with old steel jerricans. K

52 minutes ago, Deafhead said:

Just had a non start prob with a Husky and on about the third strip down I noticed some small water globules on the pump diaphragm, so changed the carb (Lots of spares, long time chainsaw user) thoroughly cleaned the tank and off she went. By the way I could not find any water present in the fuel in the tank. 

I've experienced this in the past and as @Khriss says it might be from condensation build up. You can get anhydrous methanol for marine fuel tanks, a drop of which in the fuel should dissolve the water to save stripping down, which assumes of course that the diagnosis can be made without taking the carb apart.

• Like 1

Thanks for the comeback guys, Khriss, you could be right as I do use steel jerrycans to collect my fuel (40 litres a time) but then decant it into 5 litre plastic as needed, so it can sit in the steel container for a while. Openspaceman, a thousand years ago I raced a Cooper JAP and used to collect the fuel (Cooper No.1 racing fuel) in sealed 2 gallon cans, this fuel was methanol with about 21/2 % Nitro methane additive and if you did not use it fairly soon after purchase it would very soon turn milky white through moisture absorption. 

19 hours ago, adw said:

Ouch! I forgot about that, but danggling a saw by the starter rope?  what if there is excess oil in the cylinder?  what if the ring is not trapped? It can make you just rule out a seizure  and start wasting time messing with carbs etc, if there is any doubt lift the cylinder, at least you will know for sure.

Sometimes innovation works. I once changed the spring rate of a Kawasaki using a garden fork!! I didn't get that from the manual. Did it work? The young lady who rode the bike was happy? 

I have seen a few saws have water in the fuel and it is indeed milky. If you put it in a clear container, the water will drop to the bottom of the container and be pretty obvious. Meths added to the fuel will absorb the water but too much and it is better to strip the carb and flush the tank.

4 hours ago, Khriss said:

@openspaceman never heard of that  stuff, tho i do use meths fr carb cleaning. Always telling the lads off using steel Jerrican  " leave half gallon in bottom  for the rust fairy !" k

Ordinary meths is ethanol with 10% methanol and a bitter compound added but I suspect the ethanol is 70% alcohol and 30% water. As such if you add it to petrol the water settles out at the bottom so would make matters worse, Anhydrous methanol is pure CH3OH is made from methane (natural gas) and mixes with petrol and absorbs water

Edited by openspaceman
10% not 19%
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Deafhead said:

Thanks for the comeback guys, Khriss, you could be right as I do use steel jerrycans to collect my fuel (40 litres a time) but then decant it into 5 litre plastic as needed, so it can sit in the steel container for a while. Openspaceman, a thousand years ago I raced a Cooper JAP and used to collect the fuel (Cooper No.1 racing fuel) in sealed 2 gallon cans, this fuel was methanol with about 21/2 % Nitro methane additive and if you did not use it fairly soon after purchase it would very soon turn milky white through moisture absorption. 

Sounds like the stuff we put in model aeroplane engines.

That formula the Cooper JAP was that the 500CC class that teams would buy Manx Nortons and rob the engines out, leaving the featherbed frames for people who wanted to upgrade their triumphs to Tritons?, Just a bit before my time.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Sounds like the stuff we put in model aeroplane engines.

That formula the Cooper JAP was that the 500CC class that teams would buy Manx Nortons and rob the engines out, leaving the featherbed frames for people who wanted to upgrade their triumphs to Tritons?, Just a bit before my time.

My mate had a 3 wheeler Morgan with the British Anzani V twin engine in it . That was a cracker !