Axle load sensors

Paddy1000111

600kg?! Definitely won't be getting a double cab. The single cab tippers I have seen spec a 1137kg payload they have a steel "highway maintenance" type bed. I am wondering about looking into an ally bed with some other type of material for the sides, not sure what yet. From what I have seen on spec sheets you can save 100-160kg on payload by getting an ally bed with ally short sides and I may look at something like ThermHex for the side panels above the normal tipper side height which is a polypropylene honeycomb board for truck bodies, caravans, ships etc. Prices aren't bad (under £200 for all the sides), it's strong and only weighs 80kg per cubic meter so all the sides would come in at maybe around 60kg

If the sticker is to be believed ..
But even as a single cab when modified you will not be as per the factory spec. I assume you would want a tool locker behind the cab ? Don’t forget passengers and tools are going to reduce that factory spec payload by say 150 to 200 kilos ..... so straight away you are under a tonne of available load left. Add a tool locker. That’s another 150 kilos maybe ... say you have 800 kg load left. That’s only half full at best in chip stating legit...

6 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I guess so. I feel like if I put my best effort into keeping it light I would at least be closer to 10-15% than over 30% if I overloaded by accident. Would much rather have a £100 fine than a court date. 

Lads got stopped at Dartford two months ago 1.5 tonnes over on back axle 200 kgs over on front £600 fine unload vehicle and reweigh let go it depends on how you treat the people at the weigh bridge 

46 minutes ago, dumper said:

Lads got stopped at Dartford two months ago 1.5 tonnes over on back axle 200 kgs over on front £600 fine unload vehicle and reweigh let go it depends on how you treat the people at the weigh bridge 

Oh yea 100%. I've never had a ticket of any sort in my life, all depends on attitude like you say and knowing when to just take an earful and let it go.

Makes me think that I would probably have the unit plugged in or on a small switch tucked away. Get pulled over and say it's broken if needed. I have a dash cam and people have said "I don't know why on earth you would do that, it might incriminate you" but if I had a collision and I was at fault I would throw the micro SD card in the hedge. In all honesty if I was to keep running overloaded (which everyone else seems to do ?) I would still rather have one so I could shift a load round if it's unbalanced or know that I am under 20% over or whatever. I would rather have a properly balanced load that's a little over and get a slap on the wrist than an unbalanced load that's a tonne over and have a nasty crash when I lose steering. 

Oh yea 100%. I've never had a ticket of any sort in my life, all depends on attitude like you say and knowing when to just take an earful and let it go.
Makes me think that I would probably have the unit plugged in or on a small switch tucked away. Get pulled over and say it's broken if needed. I have a dash cam and people have said "I don't know why on earth you would do that, it might incriminate you" but if I had a collision and I was at fault I would throw the micro SD card in the hedge. In all honesty if I was to keep running overloaded (which everyone else seems to do [emoji849]) I would still rather have one so I could shift a load round if it's unbalanced or know that I am under 20% over or whatever. I would rather have a properly balanced load that's a little over and get a slap on the wrist than an unbalanced load that's a tonne over and have a nasty crash when I lose steering. 

There’s isn’t a lot of redistributing a jam packed load of chip. Get a 7.5 t and save the worry
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Rough Hewn said:

Yiu can get a 7.5 ton transit tipper.
10990kg mam.
emoji106.png

Doesn't that put it above the C1 licence though? Also means I'll have to do C1+E and I wouldn't be able to get any groundie to drive it where I could with a 3.5T+750kg chipper 

Edited by Paddy1000111
  • Like 1