Axle load sensors

Paddy1000111

So I'm looking at a new van (but that's not what this is about) and I want to ideally get some load sensors for the axles. It would be nice to know that I'm not overweight but more importantly I could probably put on more load knowing exactly what I had on there than playing it safe. I feel I could turn 4 loads into 3 knowing what I had onboard. I did some contract work years back for the local council and I was using one of their Iveco vans that had overload sensors which were the red/green light style and were crap to be honest. Googling around I've noted that you can get digital ones that tell you in kg what the load is on the axle. Anyone using these? Just looking for an opinion of them and an estimated price for reference? 

Thanks! 

4 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

So I'm looking at a new van (but that's not what this is about) and I want to ideally get some load sensors for the axles. It would be nice to know that I'm not overweight but more importantly I could probably put on more load knowing exactly what I had on there than playing it safe. I feel I could turn 4 loads into 3 knowing what I had onboard. I did some contract work years back for the local council and I was using one of their Iveco vans that had overload sensors which were the red/green light style and were crap to be honest. Googling around I've noted that you can get digital ones that tell you in kg what the load is on the axle. Anyone using these? Just looking for an opinion of them and an estimated price for reference? 

Thanks! 

Is yours a tipper. I believe you can get something to go on the hydraulics that tells you how heavy the load is you are lifting

1 hour ago, dig-dug-dan said:

Is yours a tipper. I believe you can get something to go on the hydraulics that tells you how heavy the load is you are lifting

Presumably that wouldn't give the axle weight though? Never worked it out on my truck but pretty sure I could be within its overall payload but over the rear axle limits if the weight near the back of the bed. 

A basic option would be a pressure reading off the tipper ram, not so accurate, and needing a uniform load each time ( a heavy weight at the back would have less pressure than if it was at the front), larger trucks have weight cells under the tipper pivots and ram mounts, never seen them on a 3500kg, guessing due to the size, weight, and cost of them, axle weigher measure the deflection in springs/air pressure/ gap chassis to axle, usually calibrated by the installer, but can give a reading for load and axle weights in kgs.

If you have a weigher fitted, and got a bit carried away loading, and happened to get stopped, you have got no excuses.

A cheap idea, is measure from deck/wheel arches to the ground/ centre of wheels with know weights on, to give you an idea (waste of time with HD suspension/air). 

Hi we have them installed on our tipper trucks and our 3.5 ton trailers. The cells are all electric and are set between bottom of rams and springs under tipping body only not the fronts stearing on trucks. The empty weight is alway the default + /- 1Kg

It was very exspensive to install. But keeps the plods etc off your back. BUT it can work against you if your pulled and you are over weight.

1 hour ago, Craig. said:

A basic option would be a pressure reading off the tipper ram, not so accurate, and needing a uniform load each time ( a heavy weight at the back would have less pressure than if it was at the front), larger trucks have weight cells under the tipper pivots and ram mounts, never seen them on a 3500kg, guessing due to the size, weight, and cost of them, axle weigher measure the deflection in springs/air pressure/ gap chassis to axle, usually calibrated by the installer, but can give a reading for load and axle weights in kgs.

If you have a weigher fitted, and got a bit carried away loading, and happened to get stopped, you have got no excuses.

A cheap idea, is measure from deck/wheel arches to the ground/ centre of wheels with know weights on, to give you an idea (waste of time with HD suspension/air). 

That's what I was thinking with the hyd px reading. Realistically if I got stopped and was 20% over I would get charged £300 for it be it knowingly over or not. I feel like having the ability to know would be better. Plus having the ability to know the front/rear loading and adjusting as necessary would be good too. takes two minutes to rake some chippings flat. Especially as fines are now based on axle loading not overall vehicle rate. When they pull you into a weighbridge they do each individual axle so if you are under 3.5 tonnes but you chucked a load of logs in the back and go over the axle rating then you can be charged.