Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
IanW

Aspen 40:1 mix

Recommended Posts

Really don't think it's necessary. Modern synthetic oil component is safe at 100:1, with the important caveat that you've not got it running stupidly lean.

 

If you must add some then use a good fully synthetic oil (Stihl HP Ultra) or similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just buy Aspen 4 stroke and mix it how you like.


Ah yeah... forgot about the 4 stroke stuff.

I only want about 1/2 a ltr.... if it’s safe to mix i’ll just use the 2t stuff... saves me buying the 4t

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know what oil is in Aspen but you shouldn't harm anything as long as it's fully synthetic oil. In future I would buy the 4 stroke aspen and self mix. I like Stihl Ultra oil @ 40-45:1 so I mix it myself usually although I have been using normal petrol recently and saving the aspen for storage as I am getting put off paying almost £5 a litre at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

I don't know what oil is in Aspen but you shouldn't harm anything as long as it's fully synthetic oil. In future I would buy the 4 stroke aspen and self mix. I like Stihl Ultra oil @ 40-45:1 so I mix it myself usually although I have been using normal petrol recently and saving the aspen for storage as I am getting put off paying almost £5 a litre at the moment. 

Been mixing Aspen 4 with Red Line at 50:1 for years ( well since Aspen came out ) Don't see why you could not mix at whatever ratio you want but can't see the need to go below 50:1 .

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Been mixing Aspen 4 with Red Line at 50:1 for years ( well since Aspen came out ) Don't see why you could not mix at whatever ratio you want but can't see the need to go below 50:1 . 

It's more for peace of mind. I use the 1L bottles with the measuring unit on the top. I don't 100% trust the measuring cups or their ability to fully empty so I go up to the 100ml line (50:1) and then a touch over to around 110ml to 115ml or around 43-45:1. It probably makes no difference to the engine but it gives me peace of mind that I haven't under oiled. It also means that if I accidently stick over 5L in there at the pump then I don't run lean. I serviced my 3 year old 261 the other week. Plug was a nice biscuit colour and I boroscoped the bore, the piston was still shiny on top and there was no damage or signs of wear at all to the cylinder or piston skirt. The head itself was also nice and clean. Personally I would rather "over oil" slightly and have a dirty plug or a dirty piston than under oil and when I push the limits of the saw cause some damage. 

Edited by Paddy1000111

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Paddy1000111 said:

It's more for peace of mind. I use the 1L bottles with the measuring unit on the top. I don't 100% trust the measuring cups or their ability to fully empty so I go up to the 100ml line (50:1) and then a touch over to around 110ml to 115ml or around 43-45:1. It probably makes no difference to the engine but it gives me peace of mind that I haven't under oiled. It also means that if I accidently stick over 5L in there at the pump then I don't run lean. I serviced my 3 year old 261 the other week. Plug was a nice biscuit colour and I boroscoped the bore, the piston was still shiny on top and there was no damage or signs of wear at all to the cylinder or piston skirt. The head itself was also nice and clean. Personally I would rather "over oil" slightly and have a dirty plug or a dirty piston than under oil and when I push the limits of the saw cause some damage. 

Red line says , on the bottle , can be used at 100 : 1 ratio so I am happy at 50 : 1 . Never had a problem and my mind is peaceful 👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Horses for courses I suppose 🙂 I just remember there being stories of the US loggers with 660's and they were running 50:1 as per the manual. Some guys were reporting issues with loss of compression/damaged cylinders and the ones running 40:1 weren't having an issue at all. How true they are we will never know. As far as I'm concerned I'll run as much oil as I can without it starting to have negative effects. If anything the newer, cleaner burning/less dirty oils have opened the gates to running heavier oil ratios without the negative impacts. There's a reason that car/truck/machinery/shipping engines have built in oil, they last longer. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Paddy1000111 said:

Horses for courses I suppose 🙂 I just remember there being stories of the US loggers with 660's and they were running 50:1 as per the manual. Some guys were reporting issues with loss of compression/damaged cylinders and the ones running 40:1 weren't having an issue at all. How true they are we will never know. As far as I'm concerned I'll run as much oil as I can without it starting to have negative effects. If anything the newer, cleaner burning/less dirty oils have opened the gates to running heavier oil ratios without the negative impacts. There's a reason that car/truck/machinery/shipping engines have built in oil, they last longer. 

Most of the " small engine " problems in the U.S. is down to the high content of ethanol in pump fuel . 

Edited by Stubby

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.