Largest Diameter Tree Felled with Small Chainsaw?

Billhook

7 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Wanker . Not one single neck roll either...

These people just think  they can  buy a saw and post flash videos on using said chainsaw and make thousands on people watching  them use that saw.... When we know what its like to chainsaw  all day in the pissing rain fr buttons............Hang On    !    ?

• Haha 1

@aspenarb... Ahhhh thanks,  i thought it might have a sexual connotation,  certainly know just the type.  Either Gobsite / Earnest and full of themselves /  clueless layabout. I believe some of them have just done one of those '4 Week Tree Surgeon'  courses young Samatha is considering.  K

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

Interestingly the forestry guys I know tend to use a largish saw 70cc-80cc with a 13" bar !  Needless to say it never bogs !

I've never met or heard of anyone running a 13" bar on a 70cc saw.

In fact I'm 1 of the few I know that even works with a 15" usually for brashing only.

Even for brashing most use 18" on a 50 or 60cc saw, know a few on the narrow 325/1.3mm chain. I quite like the narrow chain esp on sub 60cc saws.

Really an 18-20" bar should cover u for 90% off forestry work.

I use 13" bars for scrubby hardwood stuff but a 13" bar would struggle to fell anything really forestry wise

• Like 1

I meantioned earlier abt x3 bar cuts in another thread.   After a few of those, thought about doing Large Tree Fell, asked assessor if worth it ? He said " how many you done already?  ( abt 20 by then) well, i have done 4 and one of those was simulated.  I wouldnt bother"  this was when it was 800 quid to do   [emoji50]  K
Do they still do large tree fell? I heard they had stopped doing it.

17 minutes ago, Marc Lewis said:
4 hours ago, Khriss said:
I meantioned earlier abt x3 bar cuts in another thread.   After a few of those, thought about doing Large Tree Fell, asked assessor if worth it ? He said " how many you done already?  ( abt 20 by then) well, i have done 4 and one of those was simulated.  I wouldnt bother"  this was when it was 800 quid to do   emoji50.png  K

Do they still do large tree fell? I heard they had stopped doing it.

Not sure. Last two blokes i knew did 'large tree fell'  which was 20" dbh conifers fr 4 days.  Which is nothing  like x3 bar broadleafs! K

( does this mean NPTC admit to yr being occupationally competent to do the job if you can ?) 

Edited by Khriss
  • Like 1

I think when they changed all the tickets/numbers just below and above 380? dia now

They also done away with multiple windblow, althou to be fair most forestry companies have banned cutting windblow by hand anyway.

Billhook even on those bids never seen them boring the gub the way were speaking about here.

Have u tried looking at Nptc med/large tree handouts, I'm sure they used to be online. Used to be decent handouts with diagrams

Or Google letterbox felling cuts or something think that's the right name for it

Dunno if u can even do it with a Humboldt cut??

Not a fan of Humboldt and struggle with them, but if u bored into the face the way u do with a normal face cut and ur back cut is the top side of it, the 2 cuts could easy be 4-6" if not more apart.

Dunno if that would matter? But wouldn't help if wedging or even jacking.

U wouldn't want to wedge over a tree with a split level cut if there was 6" difference

Edited by drinksloe