Largest Diameter Tree Felled with Small Chainsaw?

Billhook

Just wondered what the largest diameter tree anyone has felled when you only have a small chainsaw

I know the technique but have never tried it.  I have often done the double plunge from either side leaving a felling tab

I realise that you need to leave a slightly thicker hinge to compensate for the bit you cut through in the middle

I am sure I read somewhere that you should be able to cut down a tree two and a half times the length of the bar.

WWW.HUSQVARNA.COM

Follow this felling technique when removing tree greater than twice the guide bar length.

Felled a large beech on the farm that was about 48" across with 346XP and a 20" bar. This was on a Devon bank so needed a platform to cut out the middle in the gob as there was no where to stand. Turns out the tree was two that looked like one to the untrained eye. As I did the back cut the two stems went down in a V. Used the prepared exit strategy fairly hastily ?

Edited by Woodworks
  • Like 3

@aspenarb  boss knew full well I didnt have it - werent bothered as long as jobs got done - oddly a view I have come across many times with tree companies . I have abt 30 fells x3 bar length , like that one under my belt - one Lombardy poplar did go wrong and stripped side off another tree , but competent ??? Who can say  . K

Edited by Khriss
( yr only as good as yr last cut )

I'm happy up to 4ft with a 20" bar fairly easily without much toeing off.

Althou will depend on butt shape

Must admit surprising the difference an 18" bar makes compared to the 20, been caught out odd times up a wood and only got the 18, it's a real pain if u go for it but can't quite reach and end up with a plug in the tree, makes wedging a good bit harder.

Had a big Doug the other day I had to start hacking lumps off the back to try and get the last of the plugs.

Was a bit of a pain really.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1