Most suitable Ifor Williams plant trailer ?

arboriculturist

14 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

If you do go for the GH94 get the GAP spec version with the uprated suspension and heavy duty tyres. You’ll need a factory spacer for the hitch if you have it on a ball hitch (it’s on a ring hitch as standard). 

Spot on.

What does the GAP spec. actually give you? Do I just ask for GAP spec?

I have ball and pin hitches on vehicles - I never could work out the real advantage of either - which do you prefer?

Can you order this size in 3.5T as I do not want a physically larger size but capacity to carry big butts would be very usefull as I have the 7.5t Ex. this end to lift off or forklift?

Edited by arboriculturist

9 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

This is a MK1 1928 Safetrak on a GH94 (non beaver tail). It fits exactly the same on the BT (which we now run) but I don’t have any pics of them to hand. 
I’m sure the current Safetrak is the same dimensions if you can find details on line. Note the front step ‘parks’ over the bucket rest. 
We had two of these on the 10 inch wheels from new (2700kg gross) and kept snapping leaf-springs towing these chippers - we subsequently upgraded to the double leaf springs of the 3500kg trailers and never had another issue. The GAP spec version comes with the heavy duty springs which I suggest are essential.8656DCE2-0AA4-467A-AEC5-1E536F1883EC.thumb.jpeg.cc6da8d56dd974b9220f8d22b28af421.jpeg

Sorry, just seen this. So with the D. leaf springs would the trailer GH94 be then be legally plated for 3.5T or are brakes different?

The GAP spec was designed for that hire firm’s fleet - it has heavy duty wheels and tyres, led lights, extra tie down points, double leaf springs and the ring hitch (so the actual drawbar is a slightly different shape, so you need a spacer to turn it back to ball-hitch). IW dealers will know what you are talking about if you ask for one.
I believe the only real difference is the hitch itself being rated to 2.7 tonnes as opposed to 3.5 tonnes. I don’t know if you can possibly order one as a 3.5 tonner, it might be a type-approval issue as that size trailer has been designed as a 2.7 tonner (that would be a question for the dealer though). They will carry the weight though no problem, if you aren’t too bothered about ultimate legality...

The GH1054 is physically not a great deal bigger and is a 3.5 tonner. The extra width means you can get a 2.7 tonne digger in it too. Maybe worth considering? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

The GAP spec was designed for that hire firm’s fleet - it has heavy duty wheels and tyres, led lights, extra tie down points, double leaf springs and the ring hitch (so the actual drawbar is a slightly different shape, so you need a spacer to turn it back to ball-hitch). IW dealers will know what you are talking about if you ask for one.
I believe the only real difference is the hitch itself being rated to 2.7 tonnes as opposed to 3.5 tonnes. I don’t know if you can possibly order one as a 3.5 tonner, it might be a type-approval issue as that size trailer has been designed as a 2.7 tonner (that would be a question for the dealer though). They will carry the weight though no problem, if you aren’t too bothered about ultimate legality...

The GH1054 is physically not a great deal bigger and is a 3.5 tonner. The extra width means you can get a 2.7 tonne digger in it too. Maybe worth considering? 

Priceless information thanks ! -

We all can't know everything, which is why this forum is excellent with so many well informed participants who offer their advice freely.

I'll be on the phone next week as you recommend - not sure what the lead time may be right now though.

2 hours ago, Stihl123 said:

I have a 12x6 ifor tipper, TT3621 

It's the new design so physically sits alot lower than the older shape. 

It is good being able to take plant to site, load trailer up and take away and tip etc

Have now put in floor anchors so can strap it up without having to take sides off 

IMG-20200910-WA0019.jpg

The new TT3621 and the old TT126 essentially have the same floor height. Some of the smaller tippers (such a @Lowestoft Firewood’s above) are on taller wheel/tyre combos which subsequently raise the bed height - as the trailers are also narrower it does make them feel a lot more top-heavy and ‘tippy’ when carrying plant.

The older TT126 was in some ways better than the current TT3621 IMO - it was much easier to completely remove the headboard so you could carry bigger vehicles more easily (I’ve had Landy 110s and a Toyota Dyna on one before now), and you could attach the ramps to the lip on the side of the bed to side-load machinery or parbuckle big logs. 
The TT3621 is a good bit of kit though, I wouldn’t be without one. 

12 hours ago, drinksloe said:

A full ramp door is definately handy if loading plant on off often, but not so handy if u need to move a long load.

But u quickly get tired of sliding ramps out from inbelow esp if ur doing a lot of muddy track work and there covered in mud.

Agree with all of this. Drop down tailgate is really useful and easy, but you can't have an overhanging load. (Unless you remove the tailgate, which is very heavy and awkward.)

I have ally ramps on mine, but they were £410 and there's no means of really securing them easily. As others said, they can be very slippery too.

21 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

The width is a deciding factor - knowhere does Ifor W. give external dimensions but I am guessing most are 18" wider externally than internally - making the GH 1054   7ft wide,  whereas the GH 94BT   5ft 11" wide.

The Ranger is 5' 7 1/2 " wide and also it is all hills, tight access around our region which is why compact is good.

3.5T rating would be fantastic in a GH 94BT