Most suitable Ifor Williams plant trailer ?

arboriculturist

28 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Its worth looking at the tilt beds, all the other trailers seem to be a one trick pony., Feck the ramps.

IMG_0229.thumb.JPG.78f559536f4ba4f9795e6d2fbf309592.JPG

I’ve just bought a 16 foot Bateson triaxle tilt-bed and seem to be using it for everything - it is incredibly useful!

I wouldn’t be without a tipper though - nothing else can do what they do and I’d get rid of mine after everything else. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, doobin said:

Really rate my GH105 with full width ramp. Everything is perfectly ergonomic. Tie downs right where you want them, breakover angle nice with the beavertail bit, spring assisted ramp that stays up even with no catches screwed tight (!), lightweight.

The GH105 has the beavertail bit as standard. It makes a real difference loading. It's a good bit narrower than most other 3.5t plant trailers I've used. My Bobcat E27 has an inch each side, and my 1.8t tracked dumper (must be similar to yours?) is a comfortable fit.

You might be able to squeeze the dumper on the 2.6t GH model if you never take it anywhere loaded etc. But if you go this route I'd recommend speccing the beavertail bit.

Will a Jenson 540T 8" tracked chipper fit on the GX84 or the GH 94BT length   -   with the full width rear ramp folded up?

9 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

The GH plant trailers are a lot better than the other Ifor plant trailers in my experience. 
Get a 3.5 tonne version (or otherwise make sure it has uprated double leaf springs).

12x6 tipper is a good shout though, they are the most useful ‘Swiss Army Knife’ trailers out there. If I only had one trailer it would be one of those without question. 

I had the 12ft tipper for two years  after running a 16ft try axle for years, I used the tip function maybe a dozen times and found the extra weight, lack of bed length and height to be more of a disadvantage than the tipper function made up for. Compromised and went with a 14ft tri axle which is a great in between size, beaver tail option with a full width ramp and a winch would make it a very handy bit of kit. 

Edited by Johnsond

25 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Will a Jenson 540T 8" tracked chipper fit on the GX84 or the GH 94BT length   -   with the full width rear ramp folded up?

A GM1928 Safetrak fits the GH94 as though it was designed for it - it goes on with the feed hopper at the back so can be fed on the trailer. There is even more room if you load it the other way around - I’m sure the Jenson will fit tbh. 

2 minutes ago, monkeybusiness said:

A GM1928 Safetrak fits the GH94 as though it was designed for it - it goes on with the feed hopper at the back so can be fed on the trailer. There is even more room if you load it the other way around - I’m sure the Jenson will fit tbh. 

Good man - thanks for that.  The Jenson 540T is  2950 x 1200 x 2700mm

24 minutes ago, Johnsond said:

I had the 12ft tipper for two years  after running a 16ft try axle for years, I used the tip function maybe a dozen times and found the extra weight, lack of bed length and height to be more of a disadvantage than the tipper function made up for. Compromised and went with a 14ft tri axle which is a great in between size, beaver tail option with a full width ramp and a winch would make it a very handy bit of kit. 

The extra weight is a down side, but 1 hell of a tool if business suits. 

I know of someone how ran a pickup and a transit until he bought a 12x6 tipper trailer and half his vehicle running costs. 

45 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

Not run that chipper or the GH49BT, had a GX84 and far prefer the new GH style personally.

Forgot to mention, I'd never go back to individual ramps. Just chuck the full width ramp down and away you go, no messing around. The GH ramps have a slightly bevelled edge which is nice to keep you aiming straight with larger kit like the E27

1 minute ago, woody paul said:

The extra weight is a down side, but 1 hell of a tool if business suits. 

I know of someone how ran a pickup and a transit until he bought a 12x6 tipper trailer and half his vehicle running costs. 

I love my 10x6  tipper trailer, but only occasionally. When I have a lot of weight to shift a fair distance. Every other day I'd rather jump in the Iveco Daily tipper. So much easier.

17 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

If you do go for the GH94 get the GAP spec version with the uprated suspension and heavy duty tyres. You’ll need a factory spacer for the hitch if you have it on a ball hitch (it’s on a ring hitch as standard). 

23 minutes ago, arboriculturist said:

This is a MK1 1928 Safetrak on a GH94 (non beaver tail). It fits exactly the same on the BT (which we now run) but I don’t have any pics of them to hand. 
I’m sure the current Safetrak is the same dimensions if you can find details on line. Note the front step ‘parks’ over the bucket rest. 
We had two of these on the 10 inch wheels from new (2700kg gross) and kept snapping leaf-springs towing these chippers - we subsequently upgraded to the double leaf springs of the 3500kg trailers and never had another issue. The GAP spec version comes with the heavy duty springs which I suggest are essential.8656DCE2-0AA4-467A-AEC5-1E536F1883EC.thumb.jpeg.cc6da8d56dd974b9220f8d22b28af421.jpeg