Most suitable Ifor Williams plant trailer ?

arboriculturist

Ifor Williams trailers there may be better but a lot are worse, they are however easy to source.

I am looking to buy one to move a Tracked dumper 8ft 9" long, a 1.5t Mini Digger, a Jo Beau M500 and a Jenson 540T - So the Jenson is the heaviest machine at 1.4 tonnes.

I've had trailers before but not this type, so I am looking for some advice on which of the 3 types below is most suitable for my needs.

Then there is the question of whether ramps or full width tailgates are best.

Nothing larger than a 105 spec though:   9' 11"  x  5' 2".

I already have an Iveco twin wheel dropside tipper and Ranger.

Any replies would be appreciated.

GH Plant

GH Plant

GP Plant

GP Plant

GX Plant

GX Plant

Edited by arboriculturist

The GH plant trailers are a lot better than the other Ifor plant trailers in my experience. 
Get a 3.5 tonne version (or otherwise make sure it has uprated double leaf springs).

12x6 tipper is a good shout though, they are the most useful ‘Swiss Army Knife’ trailers out there. If I only had one trailer it would be one of those without question. 

• Like 1

If u buy a tipper does it not make it high/steep for loading and a high load when transporting.

Mibbee best to speak to ur local iffor dealer see wot he recommends and any price differences.

A full ramp door is definately handy if loading plant on off often, but not so handy if u need to move a long load.

But u quickly get tired of sliding ramps out from inbelow esp if ur doing a lot of muddy track work and there covered in mud.

2 minutes ago, drinksloe said:

If u buy a tipper does it not make it high/steep for loading and a high load when transporting.

Mibbee best to speak to ur local iffor dealer see wot he recommends and any price differences.

A full ramp door is definately handy if loading plant on off often, but not so handy if u need to move a long load.

But u quickly get tired of sliding ramps out from inbelow esp if ur doing a lot of muddy track work and there covered in mud.

I don’t think loading height is a problem with tippers, once your up there and all strapped down, you can always tip it up a bit to reduce the apex as you go from ramp to trailer. However the 10ft tipper from Ifor is relatively narrow, the 12ft one is pretty big and prone to filling it up/overloading. I think the 10ft Bateson or Nugent one is a good compromise As it’s 10ft long which is ample for small  diggers and dumper but wider than the Ifor which would increase stability... Get the ally ramps- anything to make life easier- the steel ones are quite heavy.

1 hour ago, drinksloe said:

I have a tipper and a 1.5 ton digger and I really hate towing it on there. I am getting a plant trailer soon hopefully! 

Really rate my GH105 with full width ramp. Everything is perfectly ergonomic. Tie downs right where you want them, breakover angle nice with the beavertail bit, spring assisted ramp that stays up even with no catches screwed tight (!), lightweight.

The GH105 has the beavertail bit as standard. It makes a real difference loading. It's a good bit narrower than most other 3.5t plant trailers I've used. My Bobcat E27 has an inch each side, and my 1.8t tracked dumper (must be similar to yours?) is a comfortable fit.

You might be able to squeeze the dumper on the 2.6t GH model if you never take it anywhere loaded etc. But if you go this route I'd recommend speccing the beavertail bit.