Cranes and Timber Trailers

Thepigeon1993

If money is no object decide EXACTLY what you want/need and work back from there (and potentially get it built)!
What are you doing with it? Do you need crane speed or ultimate lifting capability? Are you using it in first thinnings/clearfell/clearing up behind arb teams etc? Does it need to be road legal? What are you dragging it around with? Do you need to be able to carry 6/10/20 tonnes on it? Does it need to float across soft ground? 

• Like 1

Kesla are generally considered the rolls Royce of cranes with a price tag to match.. lot of good cranes out there though .. and good trailers but I would look at these “ guerra “ as they have hydraulic drive instead of those dodge cage drive wheels for the ultimate tractor set up .. some pics here

20191218_140509-scaled.jpg

WWW.FORESTMACHINESERVICES.COM

• Like 2

On 19/11/2020 at 17:32, Thepigeon1993 said:

Which timber trailer and crane company has the best products and why? Money isn't a problem. 

oh to have that luxury,  

cant comment on whos best but theres an awful lot to be said for list everything you want, include anything thats luxury items and see what it costs, bet answer is scary

we have a junkari trailer and crane, fairly base model and i know what i wish i had been able to afford

wider and taller tyres to aid with soft or rocky ground

more than 1 pair bolster pins - super restrictive in terms of lenght of timber so we have to max out crane to get 3m bits on

steering drawbar is good

lightboard we need to fit every time go on road and store when in woods to avoid smashing it (very easy to smash) is a massive pain in rear,   get built in lights and make sure they are in bombproof mounts to save having to fix all the time

get more worklights on rear of tractor, and sides of it too to avoid any areas of shadow, also lights on crane, again armour the mounts and cable runs

get tie down points on chassis for road work, more the merrier

dont get a valve block that has to be lifted onto 3 point linkage of tractor every time you want to use - gets old fast, spend more money on electrohydraulic type so levers permenant in cab and just needs plugged into trailer

make sure seat revolves in tractor for comfort

forest gaurding on tractor is very very good plan 

• Like 1

Kronos are worth a look. I worked alongside one a few years ago and it was well built, This particular one was mounted to the back of the tractor and functioned like a purpose built.

Pricey, but for production work it would justify itself in output .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 19/11/2020 at 22:52, monkeybusiness said:

If money is no object decide EXACTLY what you want/need and work back from there (and potentially get it built)!
What are you doing with it? Do you need crane speed or ultimate lifting capability? Are you using it in first thinnings/clearfell/clearing up behind arb teams etc? Does it need to be road legal? What are you dragging it around with? Do you need to be able to carry 6/10/20 tonnes on it? Does it need to float across soft ground? 

I appreciate this is not really an answer, but I need to do it all. We are predominantly arb work but we are picking up more work which requires lifting capacity for the likes of oak. It will be going on a T series Valtra with Jake frame then a drive trailer on the back.