Tarmac Track - Price

Commando

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Cheers. Have tried MOT type 1 in the past and it hasn't lasted that long (dust washes out and stone / bigger lumps eventually follows), but didn't add cement. Will try again next spring / summer. 

MOT type one is a size distribution/assortment. Round here it tends to be mendip limestone and as it is compacted it crushes down to fill the voids nicely, then you put a wear course on top. If you omit the wear course the traffic crushes it further and the rain washes out the fines.

Tarmac planings tend to be 10% bitumen, 40% stone (often limestone here) and 50% sand. Once the bitumen degrades the sand tends to wash out.

ECO type one seems to have a mixture of crushed concrete, brick and pebbles and seems to hold up better.

Edited by openspaceman
spelling
  • Like 1

We revamped a washed out 1k long bridle/footpath for HCC about ten years ago, the original was just an impassible quagmire for six months of the year. We installed drainage down both sides and in places where there was no run off we extended the grips off into the woods, timber edged it and put in 100mm of recycled 20-50mm crushed concrete (washed with no crap in it) filled up to the top of the edging with 20mm lime stone , all of this was compacted and then we topped it off with 0-3mm fines (basically concrete grit). We were recently doing a site clearance close by so I had a stroll down this path, still spot on which surprised me given the amount of horses that use it.

Bob

• Like 1

1 minute ago, aspenarb said:

We revamped a washed out 1k long bridle/footpath for HCC about ten years ago, the original was just an impassible quagmire for six months of the year. We installed drainage down both sides and in places where there was no run off we extended the grips off into the woods, timber edged it and put in 100mm of recycled 20-50mm crushed concrete (washed with no crap in it) filled up to the top of the edging with 20mm lime stone , all of this was compacted and then we topped it off with 0-3mm fines (basically concrete grit). We were recently doing a site clearance close by so I had a stroll down this path, still spot on which surprised me given the amount of horses that use it.

Bob

Whereabouts was that Bob?

I've actually got a bog in one of our cattle buildings i want to fix this winter. Taking 3 months off the paid job to catch up on stuff around the farm. Not an idea time to be doing it, but the idea of trudging through sloppy mud and water for that length of time annoys me too much to leave it.

A local fencing company i occasionally help out does a fair few footpaths for local council, often up steep hills.

And the key like aspen says is stopping water getting on the track in 1st place and getting it off as quick as possible.

Amazing how well they last considering how steep the hills are and the rainfall we get in this area

Worth going a walk down ur track in the p**sing rain to see where the waters coming from  and figure where to put it

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a follow-on from my original post.  I have about 100m x 3m of tarmac drive that is starting to show some damage/wear/small potholes, I want to get it sorted asap to prevent further degrading. What are the options to repair? Can I get a thin top coat of asphalt applied or fill potholes and top dress with tar and chipping?  And any ideas on price to do either?

I'll UL some pics later

Thx in advance

1 hour ago, Commando said:

Just a follow-on from my original post.  I have about 100m x 3m of tarmac drive that is starting to show some damage/wear/small potholes, I want to get it sorted asap to prevent further degrading. What are the options to repair? Can I get a thin top coat of asphalt applied or fill potholes and top dress with tar and chipping?  And any ideas on price to do either?

I'll UL some pics later

Thx in advance

You can put a skin of tarmac onto existing aslong as you make good any lose,damaged and holes first,then if you are good to go a liquid tarmac resin should be applied to the existing tarmac which forms the bond between old and new tarmac and you should allow at least a 45mm to 55mm depth of new layering tarmac to prevent any roll up...beawere that you must obviously take the hight of new layer of tarmac and allow for gate,garage door openings.it is also a good idea to put some sort of edging such as sets or round top edging around the area to be relaid as this forms a nice finish as well as holding in the sides of tarmac to prevent slip and cracking.hope this helps a little.👍

• Like 2