Tarmac Track - Price

Commando

Can anyone give me a rough estimate on cost to tarmac farm track.  Its 450m long and approx 3m wide.  It's in pretty good condition and probably won't need much in the way of preparation beyond creating a bit more of camber. Appreciate any advice. Many thanks Craig

8 hours ago, Commando said:

More the former Khriss, not a great deal of heavy agricultural use but plenty light stuff and horse lorries (not mine!!)

Poured concrete might be an option Craig. Easier than planing/prep for tarmac - just as durable but you can do it yourself rather than needing hot boxes, rollers etc. Plus you could do it in sections with expansion joints doing just as much as you’ve got time for and not have to worry about potentially unsightly joins as you might have with tarmac. 

Our neighbour did exactly that over 2 fields (about 600m) 

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, Matthew Storrs said:

That looks convincing I must say. Assume reinforced concrete? 

Edged like that gives a tad over three metres width, if you register with one of BR`s reclaimed materials depots you can tender for job lots of these. Can be as little as £3 a pop, transport kills it a bit because they weigh about 250 ish kilo`s a piece so you can only get about 120 on a truck. I counted over thirty reo bars in one, the concrete used must be a bit fancy because they are granite hard.

Bob

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kevinjohnsonmbe said:

Poured concrete might be an option Craig. Easier than planing/prep for tarmac - just as durable but you can do it yourself rather than needing hot boxes, rollers etc. Plus you could do it in sections with expansion joints doing just as much as you’ve got time for and not have to worry about potentially unsightly joins as you might have with tarmac. 

Our neighbour did exactly that over 2 fields (about 600m) 

Thx Kev, the lane is actually owned by my neighbour, he asked if I had any idea what it will cost to tarmac.  The issue is it's the only access to 3 x properties, and the general consensus was that tarmac would be pretty much immediate light use after rolling.  

Bob....The sleepers look good, however as the lane is already cut and stoned I'm (initially) thinking tarmac would be the easier option.

Any ideas on costs for concrete over tarmac.. that will be the driver i guess?

I had it graded with a 14T swinger earlier in the year but predictably this weather is starting to take effect and potholes appearing.  Neighbour has brought a box grader which helps, BUT i think its just putting of the inevitable fact that its gonna need sorting properly soon.

Cheers Craig

• Like 2